Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1972 Hatteras 53 convertible bow pulpit mod

HI, This is my first post. I need to saw off or modify (hinge) my bow pulpit to fit a 54 foot slip The 1972 Hatteras in question has either an aftermarket or early model bow pulpit. I saw some of the other bow pulpit removal posts but mine appears to be an earlier design (pic) Anyone have any recommendations on how to proceed with removal or modification? Regards, Jef
    Attached Images

Re: 1972 Hatteras 53 convertible bow pulpit mod

Get another slip.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

or a special ruler
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I would NEVER cut off a pulpit to fit into a slip. Not only will it destroy the functionality will also look horrible and affect the boats value.

That being said, just start cutting and it should become apparent on how to remove it is is most likely thru bolted below which will be obvious, just look closely in the anchor locker. There will be fiberglass and paint repair below but it should not be that much work. Then you will need to hire a welder to patch the rail. If you are saving the windlass you should be able to get some sort of bolt on roller to act as a pulpit once you reinstall the windlass.

In my experience dock masters always over look a bit of overhang...
    Last edited by sixty; 08-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Take off the swim platform, get the slip, move into the slip and reinstall swim platform, they hardly ever check again after the fist measurement. Ask me how I know.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Very smart John.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

What slip at what marina is worth chopping up your boat? I would like to see such a place....

Don't think that's an original Hatteras pulpit, must be an add on.
    Check the anchor locker for bolts, etc, and start cutting it off. It's probably not going to be an easy project and you're going to end up with some body and paint work.
    The 53C is a great looking boat without a pulpit.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Of you check your document if your boats documented it usually shows your only 49 or 50 ft at the waterline. Perhaps that will satisfy the length requirement.