Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1981 Hatteras 48 M/Y for Sale - Completely Refurbished

I am putting our 48' Hatteras on the market. We have spent 3 years refurbishing the entire inside to bring it at least into the late 90's. I have posted a few pictures of what my wife has done, and their are others for members to look at on my PARTNERSHIP page. We have converted the forward stateroom from bunk beds to a double, taken the settee out of the galley to expand and added Kyanite Countertops,full size side by side refrigerator, dishwasher and 4 burner drop in electric stove, as well as convection/ Microwave oven. Three of the 4 A/C unites replaced as well as the washer and dry. Dripless shafts were installed last year along. All headliners have been replaced with white foam backed vinyl and dimmable LED puck lights. I also have numerous other pictures if there is interest. New canvas has been put on the Bridge, New electronics are currently being added and the helm control is also being updated. The bottom has been soda blasted and 3 barrier coats applied, as well as 2 coats bottom paint within the last two months. The vessel has twin 6V92 Detroit's with twin turbo's at 435 hp each. The hours are accurate and at 1700 hours per engine. Generator recent serviced and new control board added. Recently added Bow thruster, etc. and on and on.
    Records for repairs/renovations are available, and easily add up to more that we paid for the perfectly good boat, it was simply outdated.
    I am asking $140K for the boat, which I feel is extremely fair, although I know others will disagree. But if you see the boat and we get as far as a sea trial, you will feel as if $140K is very reasonable and an exceptional buy
    I will be happy to answer any questions and I look forward to our discussions.
    By the way, I am only selling because I have run up on my dream boat, a 58, and the work starts all over again.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Partnership; 08-07-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Improper HP rating - taken from Survey

Re: 1981 Hatteras 48 M/Y for Sale - Completely Refurbished

Looks very nice....post more pictures.. You should be able to get at least close to your asking price but it needs to marketed properly with lots of photos. I sold my '82 a few months ago and Bob Kassel's '81 was recently sold as well. They are great boats. Only reason i sold mine is that at 81 yrs old it just became too much for me to take of and Bobk passed away. Good luck

Walt

Must be a fast boat with 550hp 6v92's. I wonder who rebuilt them to that hp? I never seen that in a 48MY. I think originally they were around 425hp.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky, You are correct.....almost. While the Series 1 48 MY (1981 - 1984) was offered with either a pair of 6-71n's or 6-92TA I was told by someone at Hatteras (confirmed by DD marineizer in NC - Covington I believe who provided the engines) that 3 or 4 left the factory with the "high performance" 6-92's. Mine was one of them. It was called the Hatteras Lady. I think they said the HP was somewhere in the low 500's - probably 525 or thereabouts. The 1982 model that I recently sold this spring did in fact have the HP engines but I never did find out who had the others. As far as performance is concerned, yes they run very well if you don't mind the fuel bill. I was easily able to pull average speeds on a reciprocal course of about 23 - 23.5 K at WOT. Fuel consumption was well over 40 GPH according to the flow scans. I liked it better at 9 K. Also it tended to be a little squirrelly at those speeds. I considered changing out the engines about 12 or so years ago in favor of a pair of low HP QSM-11's at just under 600 HP and in fact I flew to Tom Slane to discuss it and he advised against it because of the configuration of the bottom with the extra wide keel which acted like a giant water ski. The cost of adding a "deep V" to the keel bottom to prevent excessive lift was very high and I decided to live with what I had. At that time I was still making my annual seasonal trips from NJ to So Fla and I thought it would be better to have more speed to shorten the trip. I was very close friends with Bobk who had a sister ship (1981 model) with the 425 HP 6-92's and every time we used my boat for a trip he was amazed by the way she got up a ran. My boat did not have stabilizers and it rolled a good bit at slower speeds..didn't seem to need stabilizers at higher speeds but we ran mostly at displacement speeds. Bob's was stabilized and it made a world of difference. As you may remember, I always lusted for a 53 MY but I was limited to 50 ft at my club. In retrospect I was very happy with the 48 and I'm sure that whoever buys "Partnership's" boat will also love it. BTW, I think your 53ED has 465 HP 6-92's, am I correct? What WOT speeds can you get with it.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Sky, You are correct.....almost. While the Series 1 48 MY (1981 - 1984) was offered with either a pair of 6-71n's or 6-92TA I was told by someone at Hatteras (confirmed by DD marineizer in NC - Covington I believe who provided the engines) that 3 or 4 left the factory with the "high performance" 6-92's. Mine was one of them. It was called the Hatteras Lady. I think they said the HP was somewhere in the low 500's - probably 525 or thereabouts. The 1982 model that I recently sold this spring did in fact have the HP engines but I never did find out who had the others. As far as performance is concerned, yes they run very well if you don't mind the fuel bill. I was easily able to pull average speeds on a reciprocal course of about 23 - 23.5 K at WOT. Fuel consumption was well over 40 GPH according to the flow scans. I liked it better at 9 K. Also it tended to be a little squirrelly at those speeds. I considered changing out the engines about 12 or so years ago in favor of a pair of low HP QSM-11's at just under 600 HP and in fact I flew to Tom Slane to discuss it and he advised against it because of the configuration of the bottom with the extra wide keel which acted like a giant water ski. The cost of adding a "deep V" to the keel bottom to prevent excessive lift was very high and I decided to live with what I had. At that time I was still making my annual seasonal trips from NJ to So Fla and I thought it would be better to have more speed to shorten the trip. I was very close friends with Bobk who had a sister ship (1981 model) with the 425 HP 6-92's and every time we used my boat for a trip he was amazed by the way she got up a ran. My boat did not have stabilizers and it rolled a good bit at slower speeds..didn't seem to need stabilizers at higher speeds but we ran mostly at displacement speeds. Bob's was stabilized and it made a world of difference. As you may remember, I always lusted for a 53 MY but I was limited to 50 ft at my club. In retrospect I was very happy with the 48 and I'm sure that whoever buys "Partnership's" boat will also love it. BTW, I think your 53ED has 465 HP 6-92's, am I correct? What WOT speeds can you get with it.

Walt
    Walt,
    You are correct. My 6v92's are 465hp. I cruise at 15.5-17kts depending on loading at 2150rpm. At WOT, I have a hard time exceeding 18kts but that is in fresh water.

He is a video from last week at cruise:

https://youtu.be/MJkbF-Jv5Gc
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-07-2018 at 03:10 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Looks very nice....post more pictures.. You should be able to get at least close to your asking price but it needs to marketed properly with lots of photos. I sold my '82 a few months ago and Bob Kassel's '81 was recently sold as well. They are great boats. Only reason i sold mine is that at 81 yrs old it just became too much for me to take of and Bobk passed away. Good luck

Walt
    Walt - Thanks for comments - More pictures in "Partnership Gallery" and more of Mid-stateroom, Aft Deck, Helm, Master and Mid Head, and Galley picture to come this weekend.

If the engine areas look like the interior shots, this boat isn't going to hang around for sale very long. the interior shots are stunning.

Where is boat to be seen? I am cash buyer and prefer private contact on email. Wwgilman@aol.com. Woul like to view next week. Pictures look great. Let me help you get your 58. W W Gilman

Where's the popcorn?

It took longer than I expected
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Salon Entertainment Center.jpgGalley.jpg[QU20151108_081713.jpgOTE=Walter P;336073]Looks very nice....post more pictures.. You should be able to get at least close to your asking price but it needs to marketed properly with lots of photos. I sold my '82 a few months ago and Bob Kassel's '81 was recently sold as well. They are great boats. Only reason i sold mine is that at 81 yrs old it just became too much for me to take of and Bobk passed away. Good luck

Walt[/QUOTE]

More pictures to follow this weekend