Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

Many good points made on the comparison between these two models. Having owned and lived on both the 53MY and 53ED, they are both very nice liveaboard and cruising yachts. We are really enjoying the large salon on the 53ED and separate pilot house for operating at the lower helm. With regard to storage, I think either I have less stuff than I used to, or there is more storage on the ED but I do think it’s the latter.

Agree that the most important factor is condition and some of the classic MY are getting a little long in the tooth. The newer boats seem to have more robust systems (e.g., electrical, climate control). The ED seems a little more “substantial” than the MY in several areas which have already been mentioned. Also there is the matter of engine preference where I think most of the MY had 8V71s, which some folks prefer.

When I owned my MY I thought the aft deck on the ED was dinky and useless but now that I have the ED I’m ok with it especially for just two folks it’s good space. Largely a matter of perspective, we tend to like what we have! While I agree that air flow was a nice feature of the MY, we don’t seem to notice any sparsity of breeze on the aft deck. Line handling is manageable on both models but we’re a “shoes off” boat so still kind of working the details given that we put in ivory carpet!

In sum, you probably can’t go wrong with a well-maintained and good condition vessel in either one of these models.

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    Many good points made on the comparison between these two models. Having owned and lived on both the 53MY and 53ED, they are both very nice liveaboard and cruising yachts. We are really enjoying the large salon on the 53ED and separate pilot house for operating at the lower helm. With regard to storage, I think either I have less stuff than I used to, or there is more storage on the ED but I do think it’s the latter.

Agree that the most important factor is condition and some of the classic MY are getting a little long in the tooth. The newer boats seem to have more robust systems (e.g., electrical, climate control). The ED seems a little more “substantial” than the MY in several areas which have already been mentioned. Also there is the matter of engine preference where I think most of the MY had 8V71s, which some folks prefer.

When I owned my MY I thought the aft deck on the ED was dinky and useless but now that I have the ED I’m ok with it especially for just two folks it’s good space. Largely a matter of perspective, we tend to like what we have! While I agree that air flow was a nice feature of the MY, we don’t seem to notice any sparsity of breeze on the aft deck. Line handling is manageable on both models but we’re a “shoes off” boat so still kind of working the details given that we put in ivory carpet!

In sum, you probably can’t go wrong with a well-maintained and good condition vessel in either one of these models.

Cheryl
    No one here can argue with your perspective, having owned both. I would bet there aren't too many folks that fit that profile.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Done properly the aft deck on a 53 MY can be enclosed and function as a room. I did ours when we bought it and we love it, in fact we pretty much ruled out trading up to a 70 CPMY because it did not have the large aft deck. As others have said it’s all personnel preference. I always remember Angela’s comment on her 58 saying the extra width just gave you more room to walk through the main saloon but it made it a real pain to wash the windows with no side decks.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Done properly the aft deck on a 53 MY can be enclosed and function as a room. I did ours when we bought it and we love it, in fact we pretty much ruled out trading up to a 70 CPMY because it did not have the large aft deck. As others have said it’s all personnel preference. I always remember Angela’s comment on her 58 saying the extra width just gave you more room to walk through the main saloon but it made it a real pain to wash the windows with no side decks.
    Would you care to share some of those photos of the aft deck enclosure you did on your 53MY?

Thanks,

Mel

Check my gallery some photos thereu
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

It all depends on hounyiubuse the boat. For a quiet couple up north who doesn’t spend much time in the water or with people on board the side decks aren’t very important. However down south where anchoring our and spending time in the water the side decks gives a convenient way to to the sunpad on the bow or up to the fly bridge after getting out of the water. Otherwise having to go thru the salon is a major pita

I would never own a boat without side deck.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Our family now streams through the salon with fishing gear, bathing suits, etc. We now have amtico everywhere, and it has made a ton of difference in how much I no longer care what is going through the salon. So yes, it is how you use the boat, and as Sky mentioned, start with condition. Cheryl is the perfect example of an advocate of what you own and modify it as needed to enjoy these great boats. Our ED has 2 gens, stabilized and was in so much better shape than anything we looked at. just bought it. no regrets. With a young family when it storms, we love the big salon. others seem small in comparison.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

I'd never own a boat without a cockpit so anyone that does is wrong.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Post Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

that is what the center console is for. it would take a bigger CPMY to have the same interior SF we have and use. It still seems true that it requires about 7 boats to accomplish the wants of avid boaters. Cheaper to have those 6 friends nearby. Always a compromise somewhere.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Well-stated, CarolinaCoast!
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"