Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    Ditto about the wing doors: it’s amazing how much airflow there is when at anchor with the bow to the wind.
    Thanks for airflow confirmation thru the wing doors.....besides providing a nice cool breeze, the airflow helps keep my beer cooler!

Thanks,

Mel

Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Brain fart on the 53MY and wing doors/side decks. Guess I've spent too much time on a 58MY lately. I'd still guess the 56MY and 53ED would be the same or very close in salon width.
    Brain farts are a common thing, they come and go with age - I get 'em sometimes twice a day!......long as they don't stay around and visit too long, you're good to go.

Thanks,

Mel

It s not really furring strips but solid lumber which I believe is structural.

A few years back I have been on a 58 MY a few times, anchored or rafted up to our 53 The aft deck on the 58 without wing doors and without side deck is unbearably hot compared to the 53 It s hot, stuffy and whenever someone wants to go to the bow, it s pita having to go thru the saloon. I would never own a boat without side deck and again it has nothing to do with docking and line handling which isn’t a big deal
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s not really furring strips but solid lumber which I believe is structural.

A few years back I have been on a 58 MY a few times, anchored or rafted up to our 53 The aft deck on the 58 without wing doors and without side deck is unbearably hot compared to the 53 It s hot, stuffy and whenever someone wants to go to the bow, it s pita having to go thru the saloon. I would never own a boat without side deck and again it has nothing to do with docking and line handling which isn’t a big deal
    After reading your response, I sat back, closed my eyes and could just picture the visual on the water.....Hot and stuffy doesn't belong on a boat. You already cured me of my desire to own 53ED.

Thank you,

Mel

Reach out to SKYCHENEY before you drop the 53ED from the list.

He owns one and could be helpful.

Ive been on a few motoryachts with and without wing doors in Florida and can say they help but I'd not drop one without them from consideration.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Post Re: 53 MY, 53 ED and 56 wide body: Comparisons of Salon width dimensions (port/stbd)

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Reach out to SKYCHENEY before you drop the 53ED from the list.

He owns one and could be helpful.

Ive been on a few motoryachts with and without wing doors in Florida and can say they help but I'd not drop one without them from consideration.
    I will do that.....thanks for the heads up.

In addition to the legendary Classic Hatteras build quality, this forum and its knowledgeable members support are the prime reasons for my search of a Hatteras. I have owned only (2) power boats in my lifetime:

32' 1936 Elco Cruisette w/single Chrysler Crown 6 flathead (not good in a following sea)

32' 1973 Pacemaker All Glass Sedan Cruiser w/twin Mercruiser 270's (350 Chevy motors 270hp - a tough little boat)

Thanks again,

Mel

Any boat is a compromise. I agree that the aft deck on a 53MY is great to get ventilation but here are a few thoughtsThe 53ED has a nice aft deck which is open for line handling. With an enclosure on a 53MY, it makes line handling aft more difficult.

The ladder to the bridge is in the pilothouse on the ED which is nice because you don't have to run to the back deck to climb up there.
    The power inlets are behind each PH door so no cords across the deck like on the MY.
    The cabin top on ED is taller which means more headroom and the galley floor is 8" higher in the ED, so the gen room has more room. Also larger windows in the galley and since you stand 8" taller in there, you can easily see out when in the galley where you can't unless you are quite tall in the MY.
    The bow seat on the ED has a back height of about 16" vs 8" on the MY.
    The decks on the ED including on the flybridge, have a small toe rail making it less likely that you would slip off then on the MY which has no toe rail on the upper hardtop.

Remember, the 53ED was almost $100K more new than a 53MY. I think Hatteras tried to justify that extra price by using the best possible components. The cleats are larger, the rails are larger, etc.

I still love the MY and that is what I wanted to buy 15 years ago, but I bought this ED because of her condition. If I were looking today, overall condition would be the #1 factor. The model of motoryacht would be second.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Any boat is a compromise. I agree that the aft deck on a 53MY is great to get ventilation but here are a few thoughtsThe 53ED has a nice aft deck which is open for line handling. With an enclosure on a 53MY, it makes line handling aft more difficult.

The ladder to the bridge is in the pilothouse on the ED which is nice because you don't have to run to the back deck to climb up there.
    The power inlets are behind each PH door so no cords across the deck like on the MY.
    The cabin top on ED is taller which means more headroom and the galley floor is 8" higher in the ED, so the gen room has more room. Also larger windows in the galley and since you stand 8" taller in there, you can easily see out when in the galley where you can't unless you are quite tall in the MY.
    The bow seat on the ED has a back height of about 16" vs 8" on the MY.
    The decks on the ED including on the flybridge, have a small toe rail making it less likely that you would slip off then on the MY which has no toe rail on the upper hardtop.

Remember, the 53ED was almost $100K more new than a 53MY. I think Hatteras tried to justify that extra price by using the best possible components. The cleats are larger, the rails are larger, etc.

I still love the MY and that is what I wanted to buy 15 years ago, but I bought this ED because of her condition. If I were looking today, overall condition would be the #1 factor. The model of motoryacht would be second.
    You make some very good points and provide much detailed information on the 53ED, much more information that I would have obtained from a non 53ED owner. The aft deck ventilation is a major one. The deck toe rails and galley window/floor elevations are a surprise. I still like the additional Salon width in the 53ED. One thing I dislike most about the 53MY is the soft canvas/plastic window enclosures at the aft deck. I never liked soft sided enclosures on any boat, they look like you're camping. I know you can find some with partially hard covered aft decks, but none that I have seen pass my 'sniff test'.

By the way, would you give me the interior dimension of your Salon wall/wall?

Thanks for your help,

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by melzer51 View Post
    You make some very good points and provide much detailed information on the 53ED, much more information that I would have obtained from a non 53ED owner. The aft deck ventilation is a major one. The deck toe rails and galley window/floor elevations are a surprise. I still like the additional Salon width in the 53ED. One thing I dislike most about the 53MY is the soft canvas/plastic window enclosures at the aft deck. I never liked soft sided enclosures on any boat, they look like you're camping. I know you can find some with partially hard covered aft decks, but none that I have seen pass my 'sniff test'.

By the way, would you give me the interior dimension of your Salon wall/wall?

Thanks for your help,

Mel
    I will be on the boat on Thursday night. I will get them then.

Where are you located? You're welcome to come see it if you're ever in the area.

Another difference between the 53MY post 1978 and the 53ED is the flybridge layout. The ED has the helm forward with seating behind while the 53MY has the helm back with seating in front. I like both but I think the MY is a more social setup for when you have guests up there. The ED seems bigger up there and is more of a place to host a cocktail party and less social for the captain to interact with the guests.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-06-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I will be on the boat on Thursday night. I will get them then.

Where are you located? You're welcome to come see it if you're ever in the area.

Another difference between the 53MY post 1978 and the 53ED is the flybridge layout. The ED has the helm forward with seating behind while the 53MY has the helm back with seating in front. I like both but I think the MY is a more social setup for when you have guests up there. The ED seems bigger up there and is more of a place to host a cocktail party and less social for the captain to interact with the guests.
    I really appreciate your offer, but I'm on the East Coast in Connecticut and not traveling much these days.

There are quite a few subtle differences in the 53MY and 53ED, especially the flybridge layout.

Thanks again for the offer to see your 53ED,

Mel