Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: AC replacement cost/quote

Quote Originally Posted by hoop1013 View Post
    I replaced the compressor side of the split system in the lower berths on our 58 my ( Master stateroom with 3 other zones as slaves) with a unit from Ocean Breeze. I sent them my old unit from the engine room with the manifolds and solenoid valves. They made a new 28,000 BTU unit that was plug and play as far as my wiring was concerned and fit right into the space of the old one. Total for all ( Compressor unit, manifolds, solenoid valves ) was under $6K and I couldn't be happier. While the old unit was out, I pressure tested all the air handlers and lines with nitrogen and let them sit for 3 days to guarantee no pressure drop and blew out the lines with a compressed air contraption that a buddy made. Thought about going to self contained units but all the extra wiring, plumbing, hull penetrations and extra amp draw from multiple pumps convinced me to rebuild what Hatteras designed.
    Of course all these boats are different. In my case, there was no extra wiring, or hull penetrations, and the water lines ran to the same water manifold as the split systems used. The new self contained systems are so small, they will fit it the space occupied by the original split system air handler. My model Hatteras had terminal blocks also in the same space with the air handler, so the self contained systems were wired to the original Hatteras terminal blocks. There are no extra pumps either, simply the original wiring from the terminal block to the pump relay. Might not be an appropriate solution for some models, but it's an easy conversion for many.

Its funny how the original question of cost to have a split system replaced turned into such a different subject.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Especially when it's the condensor I need replaced. Thought about doing the self contained in my salon but then I'm looking at 2 12k units as my salon is a 24k and is split between the blower on port side helm and the other is stbd side in aft end table. On my old boat I had a 16k self c unit and it's was loud. The unit turning on wasn't too bad but the air coming out was very loud, I noticed my split units the air discharge is much softer.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Especially when it's the condensor I need replaced. Thought about doing the self contained in my salon but then I'm looking at 2 12k units as my salon is a 24k and is split between the blower on port side helm and the other is stbd side in aft end table. On my old boat I had a 16k self c unit and it's was loud. The unit turning on wasn't too bad but the air coming out was very loud, I noticed my split units the air discharge is much softer.
    Like I said, the Ocean Breeze split system, with MicroAir digital controls I installed to replace the original 16k Cruisair split system. in the pilothouse was $1,700 and $500 for the controls. DIY'd it as well. (608 License required).

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Of course all these boats are different. In my case, there was no extra wiring, or hull penetrations, and the water lines ran to the same water manifold as the split systems used. The new self contained systems are so small, they will fit it the space occupied by the original split system air handler. My model Hatteras had terminal blocks also in the same space with the air handler, so the self contained systems were wired to the original Hatteras terminal blocks. There are no extra pumps either, simply the original wiring from the terminal block to the pump relay. Might not be an appropriate solution for some models, but it's an easy conversion for many.
    That’s good to know the same manifold can serve units in the engine room as well as the upper floor salon. I was concerned the pressure differential wouldn’t supply enough to the upper unit.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Did you discharge the cooling water through a sea chest or a new thru-hull?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I replaced a compressor a few years ago. I bought it from a well-known tech that used to have his own forum. Unfortunately, he passed away soon after I bought the compressor. His advice was invaluable. I replaced the unit, wired and plumbed it, then had a local HVAC guy evac it and charge it. Its been running strong ever since. As stated, a decent DIYer can replace a compressor, but you need to know what you have, what to replace with, and if the rest of the system is okay before you just jump into it. You don't want to go to all of the work and expense just to have it fail again in a short time because of something unforeseen that you never knew about.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 08-15-2018 at 10:00 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The air noise is because it's not ducted right.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There wasn't much duct on my old boat, maybe 18 inches. Has any 53MY owners converted the split salon Ac with self contained units?I think pascal has done some major rehab work.

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    There wasn't much duct on my old boat, maybe 18 inches. Has any 53MY owners converted the split salon Ac with self contained units?I think pascal has done some major rehab work.
    4 years ago I replaced the failed forward saloon split with a 16k Marvair which defenser had on sale for $999. It worked ok but the compressor was a bit loud.

Last year I removed everything and installed a pair of 36K BTU chillers in the ER and 5 air handlers. I love it. Boat gets real cold and since the chillers work together I have redundancy.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat