Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: AC replacement cost/quote

Debris in the lines may be what caused the 3YO compressor to fail. You don't want to replace it again in another 3 years. The problem is, you don't know what was done the last time it was replaced.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

There are two choices with the condensing unit: The entire thing or compressor only. Compressor only is more attractive if the unit is newer and/or in good shape. As has been mentioned, you need to find out if the dead compressor puked before it died and/or if there is acid in the system. You can test for acid and compressor burn out debris to know what your up against. As suggested, installing a filter dryer (bidrectional if heat pump) in the liquid line is a good idea on all rebuilds/repairs. I lost both of my compressers around 5 years ago and went the compressor only and filter dryer route and I am still going strong. They were around 10 years old when they died. Most others go with the entire condesnsing unit in the threads that I read here.

I am not going to comment on the cost because I did my own and there are a lot of raw nerves on that subject. :-)

Good luck,

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Raw nerves may not be for competant DIY owners. More for the I'll do some and have the drunk down the dock finish or worse call a pro to fix or finish and then bitch about price.

I dont do bigger engine work on my boat but hire a good mechanic for reasons so.e here just dont understand. I'm too old to push myself that hard when I can hire someone and do other work I'm better suited to pay for it.

As to the compressor vs condensor, it's a toss up until you know the condition of the other components. I've been handed condensers that puked a compressor that looked fine but the lines were full of debris and not worth clearing.

Remember it's not what you want it's what you have to work with.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

This issue of line contamination comes up a lot both here and in some automotive repair forums that I participate in. No doubt that a compressor that has puked or compressor windings and oil that have reacted with moisture and formed acid is worse than the converse of those things but not an impossible problem, even with other components left in place. First of course is flushing. RX11 is the new trend here and seems to work pretty well. Second is clean up. In large commercial systems and even in tricky residential systems with difficult copper line runs as an example, clean up is used very successfully. In extreme cases, high quality filter dryers with acid nuetralizing media is used not only on the the liquid line but is sometimes also used on the suction side (with replaceable elements). In the most extreme cases with very expensive systems where it is not economically feasible to just replace it, these type of filters are used to successfuly rehabilitate an entire system with the compressor change. Now, that type of elaborate gymnastics is not entirely applicable with our modest marine AC systems but it does point to clean up being more than feasible. When I replaced my two compressors 5 years ago, I emptied and tested the compressor sump oil and one unit did contain acid. Flushing the lines or running new lines was not practical so I installed oversized, high quality bidirectional filter dryers with my new compressors and have been trouble free. I would argue that these components should be on every install even when new, I never do marine or residential work without them.

George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 08-03-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Air con work is one thing i trust profesionals except for chillers installation which doesnt involve any gas.

That said, having had so mamy compressors on different units replaced over the years as previously mentioned, i ve never had an issue with debris, acid, etc... i guess the guys i ve used do it right.

The issue of replacing the lines seems like a non starter to me because of the amount of work needed to replace them thruout the boat. Nearly impossible in many cases, not an option.

In that case unless the condensing unit is old and the coils are near the end of their life, replacing the compressor is the way to go, again under $2000 done right and professionally
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I have calls out to nearby Ac repair guys(2) to get a quote for condensor compressor repair/replacement before I dump $6k into a new unit. I have just recently purchased this boat and my money is already spent on other things. My boat is on LBI NJ if anyone here knows of a good tech please let me know.

Sort of a FYI, my 24k btu salon dual air handler system’s compressor locked up three days ago. I estimate it’s 12+ years old. My quote for the R22 compatible compressor is $1,540. I haven’t asked what the total bill will be. The techs have a great reputation, and we have always treated each other properly. Whatever it is, it will be fair. Only issue is a five day lead time before the unit ships. So I’ll end up being warm 2-3 days a week for maybe two weeks. I’m glad I’m not a live aboard. Helluva deal to cool off in the engine room. I am proud that HVAC company owner wanted to shake my hand. He said he wished he had other customers that maintained their A/C systems as I had. He marveled at my two OEM units. I cautioned him to not even glance at them. PS: How do you keep iPhone from taking away my line feeds?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Two weeks ago, after receiving a quote for $6,000 to replace a 28 year old, 16,000 BTU split unit, I decided to go with a self contained unit made by Marineaire. Cost, $1,568. I pulled old unit (s), actually a 16,000 and an 8,000 BTU. They both went out with the garbage.

New unit has arrived and I am in the process of installing. So far so good. Have to modify a sofa seat so that unit will fit under the sofa, and nerd to find an 8 inch wide by 10 inch discharge grill. Should have unit on line by end of next week, providing I can make time to work on it.
    PV23

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Beatley View Post
    Two weeks ago, after receiving a quote for $6,000 to replace a 28 year old, 16,000 BTU split unit, I decided to go with a self contained unit made by Marineaire. Cost, $1,568. I pulled old unit (s), actually a 16,000 and an 8,000 BTU. They both went out with the garbage.

New unit has arrived and I am in the process of installing. So far so good. Have to modify a sofa seat so that unit will fit under the sofa, and nerd to find an 8 inch wide by 10 inch discharge grill. Should have unit on line by end of next week, providing I can make time to work on it.
    Like others, I replaced 3 of 7 AC units on my boat. I replaced two of the split systems, with 10k and 24k self contained systems. I used a 12k Webasto and a 24k Marinaire. The Marinaire is in a sound shield and ultra quiet. Both units included digital controls and remotes. They were $1,200 and $2,700 and easy to install. For my 16k Pilothouse split system, I replaced the Cruisair with another split system from Ocean Breeze, with digital controls from MicroAir. $1,700 for the Compressor side, $500 for the digital controls. All 3 systems appear to be well made and all do the job. The split system from Ocean Breeze is R22 compatible, but uses POE oil, there are several substitutes now, R422 being the recommended R22 alternative. There is nothing about replacing an AC unit that an above average DIY'r can't do.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Like others, I replaced 3 of 7 AC units on my boat. I replaced two of the split systems, with 10k and 24k self contained systems. I used a 12k Webasto and a 24k Marinaire. The Marinaire is in a sound shield and ultra quiet. Both units included digital controls and remotes. They were $1,200 and $2,700 and easy to install. For my 16k Pilothouse split system, I replaced the Cruisair with another split system from Ocean Breeze, with digital controls from MicroAir. $1,700 for the Compressor side, $500 for the digital controls. All 3 systems appear to be well made and all do the job. The split system from Ocean Breeze is R22 compatible, but uses POE oil, there are several substitutes now, R422 being the recommended R22 alternative. There is nothing about replacing an AC unit that an above average DIY'r can't do.

I replaced the compressor side of the split system in the lower berths on our 58 my ( Master stateroom with 3 other zones as slaves) with a unit from Ocean Breeze. I sent them my old unit from the engine room with the manifolds and solenoid valves. They made a new 28,000 BTU unit that was plug and play as far as my wiring was concerned and fit right into the space of the old one. Total for all ( Compressor unit, manifolds, solenoid valves ) was under $6K and I couldn't be happier. While the old unit was out, I pressure tested all the air handlers and lines with nitrogen and let them sit for 3 days to guarantee no pressure drop and blew out the lines with a compressed air contraption that a buddy made. Thought about going to self contained units but all the extra wiring, plumbing, hull penetrations and extra amp draw from multiple pumps convinced me to rebuild what Hatteras designed.
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”