Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

AC replacement cost/quote

My salon Ac unit bit the dust. It worked perfect during survey and seatrial and quit during the delivery. The AC guy says the motor in the compressor gave way and is flopping around inside. Got quoted $6200 to R&R my 24k btu 230V unit using my three knob controls. Hey said to replace just the defective unit would be close to half of the new. This unit is -3 yrs old and the other 3 are from 1983 and running perfect, go figure. When I first looked at the boat I was glad to see that the biggest of the 4 was new cause the others didn't look good. It's a split sys and thought about doing away with it for 2, single 12k units, one for the helm and other for rear of salon. Then as the others fail doing the same. So I'm looking for some suggestions. I know there are similar threads but wanted to start my own.

Re: AC replacement cost/quote

If he s only replacing the condenser in the ER That’s absolutely crazy... complete rip off

With a three year old unit, you can safely just replace the compressor for less than $2000
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Again you can't wait to slam the price without knowing the scope of the job.

If the compressor is rattling around is there contamination in the lines and how far do they run?

I'd question the scope before the price because there's too many hacks out there who will do a half assed job and brag about how great they are.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Let's ask the questions.

1) What is he quoting to replace?
    2) Is there new copper being used or will the old be cleaned and how?
    3) Hows the electrical? Any need to replace or update it?
    4) why are you using the old controls?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I ve had about 10 split compressors replaced over the last 10/15 years on my boat and boats I run and I have never paid more than $2000. The last two were 3 years ago... $1712 for a 24k and $1975 for a 36k. I just checked the numbers...

Theee is no reason to charge $6200. None. Unless he s also putting a new air handler
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

He quoted to remove and replace the eng room mounted unit in its entirety,Re using everything else. I would like digital controls but I'm fine with the three knobs.

No more details? Reusing the old evap and lines? Cleaning them? adding a filter/drier?

Id not send a quote without real details.

I have a 15 line item quote for a customer for 2 engine oil changes and service plus an AC system ( belt driven compressor) upgrade.

Labor is broken out per task in 3 areas. Parts and materials listed in detail.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

$6200 is around what I was quoted recently for the replacement of a 16,000 BTU split system with two evaporator units after the old R-22 unit crapped out.

Yes, re using everything else. He is doing all that purge w nitro etc etc he's been in the biz for 30yrs but this is the first time I'm using him. My local guy has a cast on his leg so he's out for the season. I most likely will just have the compressor replaced and see how things go.

Just make sure he adds a filter drier to the old copper.

I have spent hours chasing down problems that ended up being from a poor installation.

Nitrogen flushing is not cleaning the lines of debris if there contaminated. Sometimes you need to use a flush.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.