Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Insurance Premium Time, Again

My experience was that they negotiated. Didn't take long. They figured out a way not to increase the price.

I just got a quote from Boatus (GEICO). $225,000 agreed hull value, $500,000 liability, $937,000 fuel spills, etc for $5,900 in South Florida. Thoughts?
    Tomrealest@aol.com
    Needs, Wants & Desires
    1978 58 Hatteras Yachtfish
    SEA 21
    1974 46C #313 Hatteras Convertible

Tom, I have never insured a boat that had a home port in south Florida, so I can not offer any comments of value. I am up the Neuse River about 5 miles before you get to New Bern, NC. But perhaps others with similar locations and boats can help. Also read my response to Jim just below.

Jim, I did spend about an hour on the phone with an Geico underwriter, I think, that figured out a way to get me from a $700 increase down to a $300 increase, when added to last years $500 nets to 40% increase for no good reason, plus I had to drop back to 2% deductible versus 1% to get there. Without this one give back, my 2 year increase works out to 55%. During this same period I took the time to read my policy.

My bottom line is I am experiencing a sectoral (not religious) epiphany about boat insurance. We all know that coverages on boat insurance vary. But I must admit that this is my first real focus on what I have. On a Total Loss the $ are clear. But what about a partial loss? Take a read of the "Depreciation" clause in my policy:

“We” will pay the reasonable cost of
    repairs or replacements, in accordance
    with quality marine repair practice, less
    depreciation. Depreciation shall be
    calculated at 10% for each year
    beginning with the 20th year from
    manufacture. In all cases, there shall
    remain no less than 20% residual value
    regardless of age.

Translation, when your boat is 28 years old and beyond, you hold the bag for 80% of the partial loss repair costs. I am told that if you have renewed some equipment, from engine repower to new navigation lights they individually are considered for depreciation. But, as an example, you take a lightning strike that requires a rewiring, 80% is on you; how about hurricane damage less than a total loss, after the 5% deductible for a named storm you'll get 20% for the broken windows, bent window frames, interior wood damage, etc. And how about that submerged log that takes out your prop/shaft/strut. You get to pay 80% of that repair also.

Thus my epiphany, do I really have insurance beyond a total loss scenario. I am also a long term member of MTOA (Marine Trawlers Owners Association) that has a Marine Insurance Policy member benefit, with a couple of insurance companies, including Geico. The difference is some added amendments that appear to provide better partial loss coverage. So, I am investigating this option.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

I sold in April but my coverage for $150,000 hull and 2 million liability etc with coverage in Canada, the US and Caribbean was $2200. Cdn. I had full replacement cost to maximum hull value. My boat was based in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Happy with service and price. No increase this year.

http://maritimeinsuranceinternationa...ance-coverage/

I deal with Garrison Rudisill.
    Well apparently they dont like rednecks or the Gulf of Mexico. This is their reply

Thank you very much for your inquiry off the website.

I have reviewed the information provided in your submission & unfortunately we do not have any available markets that would be in a position to assist with this. Sorry we will be unable to help out.

United Marine Underwriters

http://www.unitedmarine.net/

325k agreed value,2% deductible, $1750, US inland and coastal waters.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10 + years ago when we were recovering from Charlie I was quoted

$13k deductable for named storms
    10% normal deductible
    Agreed value ( their number not mine) of $50k.
    Hull and liability insurance with oil spill for only.

Ready

Ready

$5700.00

I was told even though I paid more they would not cover over 50 on a boat that old and that I had no choice because the bank would require it.

I went elsewhere for liability only and told them to screw off. No loan ment no bank demand.

I've never had a claim yet they figured I'd be willing to pay that. It's a big game for them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have become convinced that "depreciation" is the major exposure you face with yacht policies. Because of this belief I'd like to inquire of those with pre 1990 Hatteras boats the following scenario

Your pre 1990 Hatteras is tied to a dock, you are not present, and the boat takes a lightening strike that obliterates the electrical system. The boat needs a total redo of the electric system. The surveyor estimates $50K to renew the electrical system. You and the insurance company agree to proceed.

Just one question: Given your current insurance policy "what is your share of the $50K?" My answer both for my current and proposed renewal with BoatUS/Geico is $40K.

Thanks
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    10 + years ago when we were recovering from Charlie I was quoted

$13k deductable for named storms
    10% normal deductible
    Agreed value ( their number not mine) of $50k.
    Hull and liability insurance with oil spill for only.

Ready

Ready

$5700.00

I was told even though I paid more they would not cover over 50 on a boat that old and that I had no choice because the bank would require it.

I went elsewhere for liability only and told them to screw off. No loan ment no bank demand.

I've never had a claim yet they figured I'd be willing to pay that. It's a big game for them.
    Im thinking of self insuring too. A fire bothers me more than anything as it would probably be a total loss. The bank doesn't have a lien on mine either I would just be out 88 grand plus all the money I have spent on her.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    United Marine Underwriters

http://www.unitedmarine.net/

325k agreed value,2% deductible, $1750, US inland and coastal waters.
    They quoted me at 3800 as well last fall. The deductible was a lot less but were going to require a new survey. I may get one on next haul out and go with them if I don't self insure. I wont really save anything on premiums but will if I have a claim as their deductible was 2K. Im sure the survey will be 1500 or more