Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future

If your retired from an injury Id bet theres limits to your physical abilities. keep in mind the restoration of these boats becomes harder with size. replacing the interior in a small boat is nothing compared to the size and weight of the components you would be dealing with. Engine stuff is even worse as the size and weight of larger engines meand even parts can be too much to lift and move. I just pulled a pair of 2" shafts from a 38 footer. 114" ling and about 100 lbs. It took 3 people to get them out without damaging anyone or anything.

Its hot hard and dirty work. It rewarding to a point but the point gets farther away each year.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There's a 1980 64' stretched to 72' that was a live aboard in Ft Lauderdale, asking $199,000, offer $140,00 and go boating tomorrow. I'm sure there's a lifetime full of upgrades/repairs/modifications that could/need to be done, makes much more sense to make this old girl new than where the starting point is on the sinker with a cracked hull.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...g#.W2IhZsInbcs
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I must say that I agree that the cracked hull and many other endless problems that cannot be seen is very alarming. This is why I posted asking for advice and trust me it is very well received. I have a 1967 Hatteras 44 Triple Cabin that I love but it does not suit our needs as a growing family. So I have been looking for a good deal that I could sell my 44 and move up to a minimum of 58 ft. The 72 was a much better deal back almost a year ago before the boat landed on shore and cracked through the hull right next to the stbd strut but the owner was wanting 85K. When that happened it took on water for the second time. I am so glad that Ed & Lynn from the Youtube Channel Trying Not To Sink finally provided me with a picture of the boat on the shore that I have been trying to find so I could see just how bad she was aground. The pressure on the strut must have caused the crack due to the weight bearing down on it. I'm pretty sure the shaft would be bent after that. I really don't want to get into a project that will bleed me dry. I like the 1980 64' that was stretched to 72 however with over 4500 hours on the engines I'm sure two majors will be due before long at a minimum of $36K per engine to rebuilt on top of the non working Naiad's. Thanks again to everyone who has given me their perspective. It truly is a Hatteras family here.

Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future might end up making your own future bleak. Since we're not in the middle of a YUGE bubble economy, as we were back in 2006~7, there are lots of very feasible options that are turn-key. Even if this boat was free, you'd likely end up upside-down on it. They have wrecking yards for a very good reason.

Think the stretched 64 is worth a look, the hours might be total time and not reset for any rebuilds. Doesn't cost anything to get info and take a look. As an example, last year I was looking at a custom boat, the broker, who I knew very well, told me to offer an insanely low amount compared to the ask, I didn't believe him, the builder ended up with it for the exact amount recommended. I knew builder very well, we were talking about the boat and it's needs, he told me if I wasn't taking a run at it he was. Well he spent $50k on it and then flipped it and put $350k net in his pocket. Now I see it pop up on Facebook all the time with the new owners and it just kills me.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

4500 is not a lot of time on 1271’s , get them surveyed and run it . Those engines maintained will outlive most of us ........Pat

Look at the Chris Craft Roamer that has been posting his rebuild on this site. Find out how much he has spent in time and dollars and make your decision. I envy and pity you at the same time. Best of luck
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

For the stretched 64' the broker put the following statement about and engine evaluation: Have any of you heard of the guy that did the eval?

On May 22, 2018 an engine evaluation was done on this boat by Joe Stafford of Stafford Diesel in Fort Lauderdale. Joe is an engine surveyor well known in South Florida who has done over 6,000 engine surveys. Since the boat has been used as a live aboard for many years with only occasional intracoastal cruises, it was decided to inspect the engines so a prospective buyer would feel more confident in making an offer and getting a good engine report. He reported that there is some corrosion in some of the cylinders but not to the extent that anything needs to be done at this time, if the boat is to be run at trawler speeds. Most owners of older Hatteras motor yachts run the boat at an efficient speed to add longevity to the engines and keep fuel consumption below 10 gallons per hour. The engines started quickly with little or no smoke and held proper temperatures on the sea trial. Prior to sea trial many new hoses were put on the engine with many new hose clamps and new raw water pump impellers. The evaluation makes suggestions for some maintenance work be done and that work will be in progress right away. The engine surveyor reported that the engine were in good condition for a 1980 boat. The owner reports that the port engine was replaced around the year 2000 but no records of that are available. The starboard engine was rebuilt with new liners and rings and more in 2004 but those records have not been found. The Walter V drives were replaced in 2004 also. All the records had been kept at the owners business but were discarded when he retired.

Go look at it and see if you like it. This is a model they didn't make many of; I think the V-drive system was unique to that boat. Much better to look at running usable boats than derelicts that you will break your heart and your bank account on.

I just took a look at the drawing layout of the 64'.

I never knew that there was a V drive version of the 1980's MY's made. I really like the bedroom layout and huge sundeck area of this boat. And a walk in engine room too. (My full width 61 also has its benefits.) The cockpit is a huge bonus. Does the 64' have a 500 gallon fuel tank in the lazarete? V drives have huge benefit for layouts, but I always wondered about reliability.

My 12v71TI engines have 3500 hours. A previous owner had the heads removed for checking and cylinders/rings checked at 3000 hours and there was no reason to rebuild. New hoses. He had all four turbos repaired. Looking at the repair log for the engines since 1986 there is really nothing that's been done to them. Great engines.

The 64' with cockpit extension is most likely a win win if its mechanically sound.