Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future

We just did it to a 53 MY no where near as bad as that 61. I am happy with the results and money spent but it had good engines to start with. If I were you I would buy a decent 61 for around $200,000 and then spend $100,000 on a cockpit extension. That way for $300,000 you would have the same boat all ready to go, or come to San Diego where there is an actual bidding war going on between two 70 CPMY’s with the prices on them dropping almost every day. Both are real nice boats and will probably sell for about $300,000, one has freshly rebuilt Detroit’s. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I am only 39 and retired due to a line of duty injury, so time is no problem. I am looking to pick it up for under 10K due to its condition and cost of relocating it. I currently have a 75 ft slip of which is very cheap for me at only $300 a month. The boat does have the teak rails and all the stainless trim on board. The owner also has a bunch of wire, as he was in the process of rewiring the boat according to Hatteras wire diagrams and had most of the new wire run which im sure most of it is no good since it took on water in the lower level. I have good woodworking skills and have the ability and means to make the upholstery myself. I know $150K is really low but I'm only looking to get it up and running for that cost and know there would be much more finer detail work to be done. Trust me I am listening to everything you all have said and greatly appreciate all your feedback. I do agree that the overall cost will probably land near 500K.

If you have the time, the money and the skills to do it, do it.* Sounds like the job is what you might need to fill the time from a previously active career. But, nothing changes the reality that you'll have a boat that will bring, if you're lucky, 50 cents on the dollar when it's all said and done. A good un-sunk Hatt is still a handful without all the major trauma. Either way, there's a pride in ownership and accomplishment that can't be quantified.

* What was that about a cracked hull??
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Having been through 2 repowers, a rewire, endless modifications and upgrades to a 50c that never was sunk, etc, the scope of this project is enormous. Hate to say it but you're going to need some additional bodies to make headway no matter how much energy and skill you have.
    If the engines are gone it might be cheaper to find a set of good like takeouts or rebuilt, than repairing the installed engines that have had seawater in them. If it was me I would find a pair of takeout or rebuilt Cat 3406e/c15/c18 or DD Series 60, Cummins QSM? which can be had for decent prices.
    I do agree that a cracked Hatteras hull is very unusual and something to be concerned about, and what other damage occurred that is hidden from easily being scene. Good luck either way and please keep us informed.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

5. Re: Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future

My understanding is that the boat hasn't been hauled since the damage.
    There is a LOT that could be hiding below the surface.

Are there any insurance or salvage inspection reports available?

Also wondering if the current owner received an insurance settlement.

Care to share with the group how much they are asking?
    This would help determine if the seller is remotely realistic about his situation.
    As was mentioned earlier, the cost of disposal on this boat would be huge.
    Eric
    1972 Uniflite Salty Dog "Sharon Jean"

https://72saltydog.shutterfly.com/

Preceded by a 1967 Hatteras 34C

The 150k figure is nowhere near what it will take. Even if you do all the work yourself and get the parts at MFG cost you are going to be WAAAYYY above that. On the low end I'd say $300k, maybe even upwards of $500k to get her back on the water. Add to that 2-3 years on the hard in a boatyard somewhere charging you a ton. If you proceed please be careful, it can/will absolutely bleed you dry.

Just looking at the pics looks like lots of stuff is mia, no telling what else is missing that can't be seen.

You have any interior and engine pics of it?
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL

Take a look at Ed and Lynn’s YouTube series called Trying Not To Sink, they have a picture of that boat on the beach in the latest episode.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I’m heavily involved in a refit on my 53 I can tell you that your numbers are low. The decision for me to do a refit was that I didn’t want to buy a used boat that had old system that were going to fail when I wanted to go boating. I look at this way. Boats need work no exceptions but I’d rather do the work in advance and have all new systems when done. I’m 54 yo. And trying to get my boat as close to new as I can before retiring in a few years plus the boat will be paid for in full with no payments. I know I will never recover the money spend but that’s ok for me boating is not an investment it’s a passion
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

You last post makes the project a little more feasible but i stil dont think you re going to her it running for $150k. One engine may be running but for how long? A good rebuild on these 12V71 is going to be 100k incl transmissions. And you still have undesirable engines with a questionable history. A full repower is the only way to go if youre going to revive this boat.

I went thru the same reasoning with my 53. I bad 8V71, one still ok. I felt that rebuilding them was just a waste of money as it was 60% of a repowering with cummins factory remans.

The electrical needs to be redone from scratch. It s not worth tryig to salvage some old wiring... do it right, all marine wire and components. Yes, hatteras did a good job in the 70s and 80s but that s by 70s and 80s standards. Sprinkling sub panels in various location was ok back then...

You can do a oot of the work in the slip but at some point when the engines and shafts have to come out, it will be 3 to 4 months in the yard... down here it s $3000 a month in a DIY yard for a 53.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just buy a running boat you can update and improve as you go along. There is NOTHING more expensive than a cheap boat. Don't do it. No matter how much time you have on your hands, there would have to be four of you to tackle this. I really advise against it.