Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future

That boat looks like a very good place to start from. Lots of room, the right engines (12v-71s) looks to be in decent shape. It's cluttered, to be sure, but that's easily remedied- bring a Dumpster to the dock and unload everything you don't want, or have a garage sale. I agree a solid offer of 140K might buy it. And it's a big boat, lots of room for living aboard. She won't be fast, but who cares?

That photo of all the AC units......well, at least there's some redundancy when one stops working. There is sure a lot of plumbing there. Makes the engines look simple.

How does the 64 MY handle compared to the 61 MY? Efficiency about the same? I'm not looking for a boat to go 20kts my ideal speed is in the area of 9-12kts with the occasional run up to clean out the turbos. Is there much of a difference in the handling since the engines are aft as compared to the midship setup used in many boats?

Good question, and I have not run either boat. You might PM Tony Trakovich- he might have experience with both.

Talking Re: Saving a Hatteras from a very bleak future

BFDFirefighter,

You and I would get along great. I actually went through that boat in St. Augustine top to bottom. Sid note I have been working on boats for 40 years. Even was a part of a manufacturing firm for about 10 years, so I know fiberglass, mechanicals, and most other yacht systems. Not to mention I am still in the business with big discounts on the parts. Cool boat, and some excellent layout changes by the "partner" The woodwork is amazing, and the big open galley is something I would have done too. Problem is there are too many unknowns. Good choice to walk away. tough but good.

Strange as I have also been studying the 64/72 and almost went to see it today. I love the below layout as well with the separate "Captains Quarters" from the rest of the yacht. I have got to believe the engines aft would also make her more seaworthy (crushing) than similar sized yachts with engines amidships. The V-drives are very strong, and usually need little more than oil changes. The 12v71 is a marvelous engine even when tired and scared. I had a set in a commercial setup that ran over 10,000 hours before they needed rebuild. Like an old Johnson/Evinrude of the pre 2000 era, loud,oily, thirsty, but ran for ever.

Finally if you have a $300 slip for a 72' jump on that and buy the 64/72. You'll have use and plenty to do...

Riverrandy

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    You last post makes the project a little more feasible but i stil dont think you re going to her it running for $150k. One engine may be running but for how long? A good rebuild on these 12V71 is going to be 100k incl transmissions. And you still have undesirable engines with a questionable history. A full repower is the only way to go if youre going to revive this boat.I went thru the same reasoning with my 53. I bad 8V71, one still ok. I felt that rebuilding them was just a waste of money as it was 60% of a repowering with cummins factory remans.The electrical needs to be redone from scratch. It s not worth tryig to salvage some old wiring... do it right, all marine wire and components. Yes, hatteras did a good job in the 70s and 80s but that s by 70s and 80s standards. Sprinkling sub panels in various location was ok back then...You can do a oot of the work in the slip but at some point when the engines and shafts have to come out, it will be 3 to 4 months in the yard... down here it s $3000 a month in a DIY yard for a 53.
    $3000 a month for a diy yard holy smokes!!! The yard I use is 3000k a year.
    Last edited by Seapig100; 08-21-2018 at 08:30 AM.

There is a real good reason that yards charge so much for do it yourself storage down here. As soon as you run out of money, the yard gets stuck with the bill to dispose of the boat that put you in the poor house. That $500,000 rebuild estimate being thrown around here is dreaming! Anyone who claims "I can get this done for only $$$" hasn't done it recently. There are plenty of good boats out there that can be bought for a very good price. Leave the junk for the scrap heap. Find something you can start enjoying today.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    There's a 1980 64' stretched to 72' that was a live aboard in Ft Lauderdale, asking $199,000, offer $140,00 and go boating tomorrow. I'm sure there's a lifetime full of upgrades/repairs/modifications that could/need to be done, makes much more sense to make this old girl new than where the starting point is on the sinker with a cracked hull.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...g#.W2IhZsInbcs
    Late to the game on this thread but just thought I'd share that this boat is st my marina and I've been on board and frequently talk to the captain. Motivated seller willing to put someone in a big boat for a good price.

Let me know if I can help.