Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lightning

Lightning

Just concluded our first ever trip to the Bahamas. Great time interspersed with a few moments of terror. The first was entering the harbour of missing channel markers and hoping I am reading the water correctly.
    The second is the thunderstorms. They really grab your attention as you go from nice weather to wrath of God in a few minutes. There was even a waterspout!

So I'm off Cat Cay when all hell breaks loose. Boat did fine but scared the heck out of the crew. I assured everyone the boat was properly grounded and the Detroits will keep chugging no matter what. But I still had some concerns

- does a powerboat act as a lightning rod in open water?
    -if we get hit, my electronics will get fried, probably my starter & alternators too, what else?
    -could lightning blow out my thru hulls and sink the boat?
    -would any of this not matter because a direct hit would kill us all instantly?

Thoughts on this are appreciated.

Re: Lightning

A direct hit can destroy the boat if it's big enough. Rare but possible.

Usually the boat takes a hit from a strike nearby that will fry most of the electrical systems.

A direct hit by the way is a big fire hazard. Keep that in mind.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Damage from lightning strikes vary greatly. I have never been hit but have talked to guys who have been and red stories.

Yes lightning can blow thru hulls exiting... yes it can fry some or all electronics and electrics as well as setting some stuff on fire

Usually people don’t die from lightning on boats...

Which harbor are you talking about, Bimini? Last time we were there, only 2 buoys were left...

When were you there ? We spent the week end anchored on the east side of Honeymoon harbor ... it was mostly hit or miss but didn’t get any major squalls (we left Sunday night).

Whenever I see a cell approaching I always fire up the mains and stay at the helm in case the wind gets bad. With mechanical engines if you get hit they may keep running...
    Last edited by Pascal; 07-31-2018 at 06:30 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

As a kid I was with my parents on their steel hulled house boat when we got into a thunderstorm. We took a direct hit to the Stardust Cruiser. Immediately the air conditioner caught on fire, the AM/FM radio melted and the old CB radio we used became a big pile of molten plastic. The lamps all shorted out. We were uninjured and the old Volvo Penta 6 cylinder gas engine kept puttering along until we reached the dock. I'm assuming if you take a direct hit the same scenario would be plausible.
    Last edited by RonNP; 07-31-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

My boat has an old SSB radio and I believe they are set up with a massive ground plate. I wonder if a proper lightning rod asbto be connected to it, we'd be a bit safer?

Pascal, We pulled into Cat Cay marina on Saturday for lunch. Around 3 pm we pulled out headed for Resorts World in North Bimini. Around 3:15-3:30, we were just east of Honeymoon Harbour when all hell broke loose. Wind, intense rain, frequent lightning and crackling thunder. Like I said, boat did fine, crew was nervous.

The screwed up markers are between north and south Bimini. Ignore the old range markers. Still there but sand now blocks the south channel running along the beach. There are 2 markers remaining but the red and green are reversed. (Red left returning?). I was freaking out not knowing whether to believe my charts, the markers or my inexperienced eyeball navigation skills. I just idled outside the channel auntie I could follow a big boat in. Yes, I was a chicken.

I surveyed a sailing catamaran that got hit in Puerto Vallarta. The lightning blue up the coil on the VHF antenna at the top of the mast and the pieces from it hit the deck and actually burned holes in the fiberglass. All electronics including refer compressors were fried. The only thing working was an old Garmin GPS, Scott is right that Garmin stuff is good.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The old range hasnt been used in 10 years or more, since Bimini Bay RW opened up the new channel. The new channel was dredged a year or so ago and always tend to shoal on th green side. There are two reds left, i usually pass about 30' from them and get at least 7' mlw

How is bimini bay? Have they even repaired the docks? I hate that marina.. they destroyed Bimini.. and tons of cheap mass tourists. I miss the ole bimini!

Yeah i recall a cell missing honeymoon harbor to the east on saturday afternoon... you didnt anchor at Honeymoon? It s pretty much the only decent spot to anchor in Bimini.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We did Honeymoon Harbour earlier in the week. Played with some friendly stingrays. They like ham sandwiches.

We also stayed at Browns & Bluewater that week. Gave a flavor of Old Bimini. Stewarts Conch Shack had the best conch salad i have ever had. Spent a couple nights at Bimini Bay Resort World and hated it. A 5 star resort working hard to be a 2 star Days inn with docks. Rude staff, docks in disrepair, slow service, no wifi, and loud macho customers. Almost got in a fight with a boat next to us that thought we wouldn't mind them blasting that Cuban music at 140 db.

Yep that sounds like Bimini Bay! Fights are frequent especially on holiday week end

Big Game is probably the best Marina in Bimini. Better than the smaller ones but still an out island feel
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal - is this you? Found on wife's phone . Says she took it at Honeymoon Harbor during Saturday's storm.
    Attached Images