Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Wiring multiple float switches to a single buzzer

I want to add an audio alarm my high water alarms along with an outside strobe.

What is the best way to do this. I could use one relay per circuit, activated by the float switches feeding the high water LEDs and the relays would activate the buzzer/strobe

Or could I use just one relay activated by the 6 float switches using a diode between each trigger and the single relay? My electronic abilities are limited but I understand andiose would prevent current from flowing from the active circuit to the other 5. What type of diode would I need ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Wiring multiple float switches to a single buzzer

A real high water alarm system will show which bilge is alarming.

There are high water alarm systems made just to do this. I build and integrate the 6 channel one from ultra float switches. Its a great system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

each 6 bilges plus the two sumps has two float switches, one to run the pump and one for high water. Each float switch has an LED on the helm panel from which I want to trigger a relay.

What I m trying to figure out is the type of diode I can use to prevent one circuit from lighting up all 6 LEDs...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Theres no easy way. You need a mute and may also want to use a light or external horn.

Theres a n A401

ULTRA MULTI CHANNEL MONITOR Connect up to 6 bildge, engine or security alarm sources to operate warning lights and audible alarms. Individual alarm silence and test features. Specify 12 or 24 Volts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Any silicon diode with the rated current. For a relay coil I would get some 1 or 2 amp diodes just to assure overkill.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

First you have to see what voltage is driving the LEDs. Then get a relay with the same coil voltage. I would guess all the neg sides of the LEDs are connected together. Connect one side of your relay coil to the neg side. To the positive side of each led, connect your diode. The white band side of all the diodes will connect to the other side of the relay. Electronics gurus correct me if I’m wrong.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Yes that s how I m going to wire it, the LEDs are 24v. I just wasn’t sure about the type of diode I should get

I would some blocking diodes for solar panels, good up to 45 v and 25 amp. That should work...

I m going to use two relays and buzzers. One not to loud for the “pump running” alarm, and one really loud oh crap someone do something now for the high water.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm going to give two of these a shot. ~$250 each on ebay. https://neatgr.cf/
    https://neatgr.cf/purchase/

Last edited by krush; 08-20-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381