Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Deep cleaning stateroom carpet

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get stains out of stateroom carpets? Perhaps renting a steam machine from the supermarket or Home Depot? Do carpet cleaners like Stanley Steemer have enough hose on their trucks to reach out to a marina slip? We are hoping that with functioning a/c it will dry before it grows mold....

Re: Deep cleaning stateroom carpet

The hoses on professional units are 150 tp 200 feet long. If you can get near a parking lot it can be done. I’ve done mine with the local market rental units and they work great. Just make sure they are completely dry before walking on them. If still wet below the surface, the dirt will wick up and the spots will re-appear. If you can find them, the dry chemical units work great. Let us know how it goes.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Shop vac all the water possible. Then go over it again. Get a bug sprayer with the cleaner and rinse it through lightly then one last time with clean water.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We re too far from the dock entrance so the guy i ve been using for years uses a steamer mounted on wheels which he can bring don the dock.

I ve tried the small DIY steamers and it s just not the same
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I carry this Bissell unit onboard; had a Hoover before and the Bissell is much better. I usually add some Odor Gone and some boric acid (bugs) to the detergent solution. This unit has a furniture hose which is helpful on stairs and tight spots. Don't know how bad your carpet is, but I took mud out of my carpets when I bought the boat. Now, the pick-up water is pretty clean. You may have to do some spot stain work beforehand.
    IMG_9423.jpg
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Rented a steam cleaning unit from ACE this past spring and was very impressed by the job it did on my carpet.

Keep in mind I have less than 3 sq yards of stateroom flooring. Small areas where a steam cleaner or mr clarkson's system won't fit.]
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Keep in mind I have less than 3 sq yards of stateroom flooring. Small areas where a steam cleaner or mr clarkson's system won't fit.]
    We aren't on a first name basis by now?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, we just got the Bessel unit, but they now have one designed to get out pet stains, I don’t have a pet but it is like a turbo version and works great. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    We aren't on a first name basis by now?
    Made me smile and LOL.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.