Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Television on the boat.

So, to keep my Admiral happy, TV capability on the boat is a necessity on most nights after the sun goes down. Thus my personal choice of "no TV" does not make the option list. But, I did finally act rationally and cut the cord (virtual) to DirecTV. Long boring story why this was the only reasonable path for me, that I will not include.

Bottom line is I now have to find some sort of mobile TV capability. The most obvious approach to me is an "over the air" antenna for broadcast channels only. Thus I have come to the group for advice on this subject. My current thinking goes only as far a thinking an antenna that would fit under the KVH 18" dome I have would make the solution very easy with existing wiring and the antenna hidden from view. But, all advice would be most welcome, as I am truly starting from zero with a solution. Specific product recommendations based on your experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

Re: Television on the boat.

I sell many of the Shakespeare antennas and they come with everything but the mount. It's an amplified and powered version and I'd not use the existing cable. I think they're around a hundred dollars.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I ve cancelled directTV about a year ago an now use an appleTV to stream Amazon Prime and other apps like fox news. It takes a good connection (i use a cell modem) and good router but worth it. There are so many on demand services now that you dont really need regular TV

One caveat is that you need to have cable or sat service back home to get the on demand programming

The one service i will not subscribe to for obvious political reasons is netflix...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Just curious Pascal, what are the political reasons to not get Netflix, this is new to me, I guess I live under a rock.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

That's a new way to describe life in California. With all the lefty liberals there you didn't notice obummer and Susan rice a roni?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

By the way I dont consider streaming services the same as television. Television is a wireless transmission system for getting programming over the air. Satellite is pretty much the same. Streaming services (OTT) need internet.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Well netflix has a bunch of uber liberal host and series, including signing a former presidetn to develop content... you know... the guy with the same middle name as a former iraqui dictator.

Netflix also heavily donated to a number of far out there campaigns like a black lives matter activist baltimore mayor.

Yes, streaming isnt TV but with so many options it is pretty good altenative to TV on a boat. Nowadays you pretty much need internet anyway so i d rather pay $70 a months for celullar data card instead of $70 + $100 or more for a decent sat package plus $2000 for an antenna

Now if you have DirecTV at home you can get extra re eivers for $10 a month but sill need the $2000 antenna

It all depends on what you want to watch... i realized i was watching fox news 90% of the time... not worth $120 a month when i can stream it

Oh... and yes... not a penny to HBO as long as maher as a show....
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree with the no Netflix thing. But enough about that. To answer the OP's question between the over the air HD TV and (what works for us right now) a DirectTV streaming app with a bunch of channels we always have something to watch. Cheap too!

My solution was to drop DirectTV.. $120 a month. My boat already had a big Shakespeare type flying saucer mounted under the upper helm cowling (Glomex). It's excellent for over the air HD channels, inc all local and national channels. I then swapped out all the TV's (because they were stolen), and replaced with "smart" TV's. Smart TV's connect to streaming services like Hulu and Amazon Prime. And also allow you to "screen share" with your smart phone. So, I got Amazon Prime, I get " free" Hulu with my sprint unlimited plan, and I pay $25 a month for SlingTV... I stream SlingTV on my phone and screen share with the smart TV, or use the marinas wifi and connect directly the TV to stream. The smart TV allows me to toggle input sources, over the air TV, DVD, HDMI (for fire stick), or screen share... So now instead of 120 a month, I pay 120 annually for Amazon prime, and 25 monthly fro Sling..haven't missed Direct a bit.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 07-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.

Needs for tv differ.

At home I have the full cable package for all the things I like. Keep the Spoiled Pusified Overpaid Revolting Trying Showoffs (look at the caps) .

When I'm on the boat at the dock I get the same as the house plus the off air. I watch more and more off air lately. When we are on the water tv is such a small issue the off air is more than enough.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.