Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hatteras 36C Serie I Questions

Hi. I am new to this forum and actually looking at a Hatteras 36C Serie I 1974 with DD 4-53 eng´s. As I have not done sea trial of this vessel yet , I would like to some idea of the performance and what to look for at when inspecting this excellent boat. Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas.
    Henry Atencio.

Re: Hatteras 36C Serie I Questions

Depends on what you mean by performance. if this boat has 453's it will be a dog. not engough power to push this boat more then 15kts.

This is true. My first Hatteras was a 1969 36C with 4-53 turbo "pancake" engines. A truly great boat but it was no speed demon. I believe 15kts was about top with cruise closer to 13kts on plane. If you can live with the speed (or lack thereof) you will LOVE the boat. It is very strong, well laid out and has a huge cockpit for a 36 footer. Great A/C and a generous head/stall shower make this one of the best boats in this size range ever produced.

Just last week my wife and I were talking about how much we loved that boat and would very much like another one sometime in the future to keep here at home for local cruising. Of course, this would be when we start leaving the 58YF in the Bahamas for extended periods of time. Gotta have a boat at home for when we're not on the big boat in the islands. Yep, we like dreaming!

Good Luck with your potential purchase.

Thanks for your quick reply.
    For me speed is not an issue,but of course I ´ll try to get the most of the engines and prop´s. It will be nice to have an idea prior the sea trial what and where to look for details or previous problems that had occurred on this particular model.Any sugestions will be appreciated.
    Henry Atencio

Speed may be an issue when you find out that the 36C will barely plane with 4-53s. If the boat is an absolute jewel and/or the price is great, and in good shape otherwise, buy it and start planning for a repower. If it does not look very good indeed AND only has 4-53s, I would keep looking, unless it is so cheap that you can't turn it down. If I knew I was going to repower a 36C, I would look for the best boat I could find whether it was gas or diesel. Just my .02.

Jim is right about the barely planing thing so pay attention to how much stuff is on board plus fuel and water. It may go well at sea trial but then you start loading it up for cruising and it can fall on it's face.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Yes , that might be a problem when you load it for a weekend cruise. Assuming that this boat has original interior with old electronics ,8/10 paint and 400 hrs on the 4-53´s , What should be a reasonable offer?.
    I know is kind of difficult to make an appreciation without actually taking a close look, but I´ll try to post some pictures asap.
    P.S. This vessel is outside U.S.
    Henry.
    Last edited by henryatencio; 04-11-2006 at 03:25 PM.

Good points about load on seatrial day. Take note of fuel and water tank levels to get an idea of what to expect. Heavily loaded for offshore, the boat will still plane but you will be within 300-400rpm or so of full throttle. The two brothers that I bought my 36C from fished her hard in the Gulf out of Venice, LA for 25yrs and didn't think twice about loading her down with tons of spare parts, cases of booze and probably some food too for their 3-4 day offshore excursions. They weren't the first boat to the fishing spot but it was economical and still tons of fun.

These boats can be priced anywhere from $10k (bare hull needing everything) to around $170k completely restored and repowered with fresh electronics. An advantage to a boat with the 4-53's is that they can often be bought RIGHT. The boat I bought was a bit edgy with rebuilds that had been sitting for several years. I gave mid-$20's and then spent lots of time servicing, fixing and cleaning everything I could. I sold that boat to a guy for $1k/ft ($36k) and he was tickled to get it. He painted it and sold it for $60k. The next guy repowered it and sold it for $125k. It's hard to get hurt on a 36C as long as you put the money in the right places. There is considerable demand for these boats at several different price points.

I believe I still have a set of spare props for that boat somewhere in my garage, so if you end up buying this one and are in need of a spare set let me know.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for your advice ThirdHatt. I will let you know if I need the prop´s and how the sea trial went..
    Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt

I believe I still have a set of spare props for that boat somewhere in my garage, so if you end up buying this one and are in need of a spare set let me know.

GOOD LUCK!
    I have just recently purchased a 36'C and would be interested in your spare props. I have the 4-53t and need spares. What are the size? You can email me - venturedevelopment@alltel.net
    Thanks,
    Chad