Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

This has been one of the most useful battery discussions.

2. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Well the old DC200-8 bank came out in pretty poor shape....They were starting to leak in a couple case. Fairly scary!

The dates on these were 6/11. So 7 years or so of heavy use. Not bad I guess.

20180810_230202972_iOS.jpg

Contemplating going to the Fullriver DC200-8 AGM batteries, but have a question... My current batteries (US Battery 15-4-1 flooded cell batteries) weigh approximately 167lbs. each. The Fullrivers weigh approximately 83lbs. What am I giving up? The specs for the 15-4-1 are 440 CCA's, and 200 amps at 20hrs. The Fullrivers are 390 CCA's, and 190 amps at 20hrs., so I understand the amps I'm losing; just worried about the lead weight difference...
    1978 Yachtfisher 58' #447

Correction... 440AH's for the 15-4-1's, not CCA's. And 390AH's for the Fullrivers...

Bump...

What am I missing? folks are talking about 390 CCA and 440. I have 8-740 CCA lead acid batteries which take a tremendous amount of real-estate. Do the 6-71s and 8-71s need only half the CCA? Oh is that Amp/hr... never mind
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I m using lead acid on my 53, not worth the extra $ for AGMs
    Keep an eye on the new tech batts. Now well below $10/Ah and falling.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by kwerges View Post
    Contemplating going to the Fullriver DC200-8 AGM batteries, but have a question... My current batteries (US Battery 15-4-1 flooded cell batteries) weigh approximately 167lbs. each. The Fullrivers weigh approximately 83lbs. What am I giving up? The specs for the 15-4-1 are 440 CCA's, and 200 amps at 20hrs. The Fullrivers are 390 CCA's, and 190 amps at 20hrs., so I understand the amps I'm losing; just worried about the lead weight difference...
    Your question implies that somehow the amount of lead you carry around in your batteries is directly related to the performance of a battery. That's not necessarily the case with quickly evolving technology in the battery world.

I'm on year two with the Fullriver DC200-8 AGM's and couldn't be happier. Here's what I "gave up" by ditching conventional lead acid batteries.

I I gave up on routine maintenance for batteries. No more watering and dealing with battery acid and all the nasty stuff that goes with it. Check the battery connections for corrosion twice a season and call it a day.

2. I gave up the old, rotted OEM battery boxes for some really nice, clean looking NOCO boxes that fit in roughly half the space.

3. I gave up on trying to hump 167 lb batteries up and over the generator to get them into the original battery boxes, in some cases coming dangerously close to spilling battery acid on myself.

These are just a few of the things I gave up in dealing with conventional batteries. Lots of great info both pro and con for lead acid batteries and I've spoken to many Hatt owners that have gotten ten years or more out of Deka or Rolls batteries.

As mentioned in a previous comment, battery costs are coming down and there was very little difference for us in the purchase of the AGM's versus conventional lead acid. I think we paid roughly $50.00 more per battery for the AGM's.
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

I'm selling a lot of super cycle victron 8d batteries for 12 and 24 volt start/house banks. It's actually less than the full river and holding up better at about $500 an 8d . They are heavy though and I believe the extra weight makes it last longer.

Then again what would I know? It's not like I sell a lot of batteries.
    😅
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Your question implies that somehow the amount of lead you carry around in your batteries is directly related to the performance of a battery. That's not necessarily the case with quickly evolving technology in the battery world.

I'm on year two with the Fullriver DC200-8 AGM's and couldn't be happier. Here's what I "gave up" by ditching conventional lead acid batteries.

I I gave up on routine maintenance for batteries. No more watering and dealing with battery acid and all the nasty stuff that goes with it. Check the battery connections for corrosion twice a season and call it a day.

2. I gave up the old, rotted OEM battery boxes for some really nice, clean looking NOCO boxes that fit in roughly half the space.

3. I gave up on trying to hump 167 lb batteries up and over the generator to get them into the original battery boxes, in some cases coming dangerously close to spilling battery acid on myself.

These are just a few of the things I gave up in dealing with conventional batteries. Lots of great info both pro and con for lead acid batteries and I've spoken to many Hatt owners that have gotten ten years or more out of Deka or Rolls batteries.

As mentioned in a previous comment, battery costs are coming down and there was very little difference for us in the purchase of the AGM's versus conventional lead acid. I think we paid roughly $50.00 more per battery for the AGM's.
    X2 on all of this, except we just passed year 3 on the Fullriver DC200-8’s. They spin up the DD8V71’s in a nanosecond. This was a huge improvement over the lead acids, hopefully they will continue to stand the test of time...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL