Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

I would be interested to learn of any poor experiences with Lifeline AGMs. I just swapped out a set that went 11 years and were still performing, just decided better to do it on my schedule. I originally went for the Lifeline brand and their premium price based on all feedback I had from others, but that was not a large sample size.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

I went with Full River 8 volt DC-180 batteries. Don't know whether I got a deal or my battery supplier was trying to make up for the fact that he promised me Deka's and couldn't deliver, but I got the AGM's for $250.00 each which was about $20.00 more per battery than the Deka 8V195 batteries that he originally quoted me.

Then I purchased four NOCO HM426 battery boxes to replace the rotted original Fiberglass boxes as the new batteries literally took up half the space of the old units. Got lucky as there wasn't much wood rot underneath the original boxes, so I hit all areas with a coat of grey BilgeKote paint. Everything matched perfectly and cleaned up well!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

3. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I would be interested to learn of any poor experiences with Lifeline AGMs. I just swapped out a set that went 11 years and were still performing, just decided better to do it on my schedule. I originally went for the Lifeline brand and their premium price based on all feedback I had from others, but that was not a large sample size.
    I would like to hear bad feedback as well!

On my speedboat the lifeline house bank was installed in 2008 and is still running strong. They are very high quality batteries in my experience.

4. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Ugh! Our house bank of 12 DC200-8 batteries are on the outs and has lost about 40% of its overall capacity. They are all at least 7 years old (6/11 date on the case) so it isn't too bad for the bank though.

I know that's bad news but honestly, I'd be thrilled if I got seven years out of those AGM's! Previous owner never got more than three years out of the lead acid batteries which I'm sure had more to do with the battery cooker and routine maintenance. Plus there was the mess of battery acid and distilled water in the battery boxes, corroded cables, rotted wood, etc. etc.
    Brian L

6. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    I know that's bad news but honestly, I'd be thrilled if I got seven years out of those AGM's! Previous owner never got more than three years out of the lead acid batteries which I'm sure had more to do with the battery cooker and routine maintenance. Plus there was the mess of battery acid and distilled water in the battery boxes, corroded cables, rotted wood, etc. etc.
    Agreed. 7 years is not bad and I am sure we got at least 300 charge cycles out of them. Unfortunately its hard to get them up here it seems and the best prices are in florida!

My Rolls are 11YO. The house/inverter bank is starting to boil so there must be at least one bad cell. I called Rae Battery last week and they had them in stock.

I am only replacing the 4 batts in that house bank. I ordered them from another dealer at a better price but for $84 less than Rae. The price was $382 each.

Questions:
    What is the size of these 8v AGM's; dimensions? Amp/hour rating? Weight?

Maybe in another 11 years, I might have to consider them
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

8. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post

Questions:
    What is the size of these 8v AGM's; dimensions? Amp/hour rating? Weight?

Maybe in another 11 years, I might have to consider them
    Look at the specs on this page:

http://www.fullriverbattery.com/prod...teries/DC200-8

9. Re: Anyone Using AGM Batteries In Their 32 Volt System?

A nice fresh bank is a nice site!
    Attached Images

I used the Fullriver DC180 batteries. Same size case as the DC200 but one inch shorter in height.

The NOCO dual six volt battery boxes have enough room to fit either the DC180 or the DC200.

Really like the idea of maintenance free and the battery boxes look nice compared with the old, dingy fiberglass units original to the boat. Plus the AGM's literally take up half the space of the lead acid batteries.

I also found that it was easier handling the AGM's not because of weight but case size. It was way more difficult removing the Deka 819's because I had to lift them straight up out of the boxes whereas the AGM's I could leverage in and out because they were smaller and didn't have to worry about spilling electrolyte.
    Brian L