Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Dreamers ready to take the plunge

Thank you for all the comments. As a follow up my wife and I just spent a day and night on a 49 Gulfstar. That is now on the top of our list. The highlight was the large and light but fully enclosed salon. The galley layout worked well for us and plenty of room for our kids to visit. Engine room was stand up if I was in the lowest part of the bilge but I’m only 5’6” and had to stoop in in most other spaces when working on equipment. Biggest issue for me is the hull is balsa cored but overall looks like a good choice for us based on condition and a clean survey.

Chris Craft had the wow factor when we went onboard. Overall it may be too much boat for us. Really needed dual 50 amp service available to run all the systems. Too tall with the radar arch but ones are available with either no arch or hinged.

The Californian has been recommended by others as well. The layout seemed very similar to the Hatteras and not sure why we would choose one over a Hatt. Maybe price and availability.

Our last boat was a 44 DeFever. I liked it very much but the admiral not so much. Also experienced a leak in the starboard fuel tank.
    Last edited by In Too Deep; 09-01-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Format revision

I agree with the others on Gulfstar 49s and 47 Prarie/Atlantic models as good similar models to the original Hatteras 48. Wasn't there also a Hatteras 48 model available in the 1990s that was available with a cockpit as the 52? I forgot the chronology of that model.

If you like the Chris Craft 500 Constellation, keep in mind that a slightly smaller version was available in the Chris Craft 460 Constellation. (Which began life as a 46' Pacemaker that later became a 46 Uniflite before Chris Craft bought them out in 1984). I think the 46 Uniflites started in 1982 or 1983.

I'm not sure of clearance to the top of the bridge windshield, (22 to top of arch), but having happily owned one, there is not a more condo-like livable motor yacht under 50 feet than the Ocean 48 Motor Yacht that was built between 1988 and 1992. How about a 27X13 salon? A separate queen aft stateroom with a bathtub in the master head. Not to mention a full stand up engine room. A VIP stateroom that is full beam. In addition to a queen stateroom forward with a big stall shower. Better yet, instead of a ladder, the 48 Ocean features an inside stairway up the bridge deck. Even if you get aboard a rough one, you will quickly understand how comfortable the layout was designed to be...if you can figure out how to squeeze one under your bridge.

And, as far as lower profile flybridge models, I just noted a 1990 Hatteras 48 in Huron Ohio for exactly what you liked about the original Hatteras 48 but way more modern and updated. A very air-conditionable aft deck with wing doors. 3 staterooms. Galley down and a dinette. Top off the package with more modern Cummins diesels for $165,000. The exact boat you were originally seeking is right there. Even better being from a fresh water environment. If I were you...I'd be on the next flight!

There is another early (1983) 48 Hatteras on yachtworld incorrectly listed as a 49 Hatteras. I think it's up in Michigan. Also, the 48 Californian and subsequent Carver/Californian was a well built boat too, and certainly worth looking at. In the mid 1980s, Viking also built a 48 low profile motor yacht in the same vein, but it was ugly. If it were me, the 48 1990 Hatteras in Huron OH would be on the top of my list for a multitude of reasons.