Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dreamers ready to take the plunge

My wife and I have become empty nesters as our last child returns to college. We have made the decision to sell our suburban home and purchase a boat to liveaboard. We are located in the Fort Lauderdale area and I will continue working. Retirement lies in the distant future. For the past year the two of us have been looking for the right boat. I am fortunate to have a supportive wife who is also looking forward to this adventure. When I come home some evenings I find her on the computer browsing YachtWorld.

We are soliciting input from the collective wisdom and experience of the HOF members. Based on our choice of marina we are limited to a vessel size of 50’ or less and an air draft to clear a fixed bridge with a clearance of 17’ at high tide and 20’ at low tide. Our budget is $175,000 with no financing required. On our wish list is 3 cabins and galley down. The bed in the master should be a queen island. We would like to maximize the amount of air conditioned indoor space. We will also have our 6 year old Chihuahua on board. We plan to spend most of our time at the dock with small trips on the ICW.

In the Hatteras family the closest boat we found to meeting our needs is the Hatteras 48 MY Series 1. We liked the boat but desire a larger salon and air conditioned aft deck. Almost made an offer on Bobk’s Chateau de Mer.

www-yachtworld-com/boats/1981/Hatteras-48-CPMY-3225814/Stuart/FL/United-States

Both of us really liked the Gulfstar 49 MY with a nice upper salon and lower galley area but had smallish flybridge and limited outdoor space. Nice engine room with CAT 3208TAs. A real possibility.

www-yachtworld-com/boats/1986/Gulfstar-49-MY-w-NAIAD-STABILIZERS-2764280/Rumson/NJ/United-States

A surprise was the Chris Craft Constellation 500. Has a nice stateroom/office combination and cozy lower salon. Don’t know much about these boats but we could see this layout working well for us.

www-yachtworld-com/boats/1988/Chris-Craft-500-Constellation-3224086/Key-West-Enroute-to-Fort-Myers/FL/United-States

We’re leaning toward a three stateroom boat with what is equivalent to an upper and lower salon area. Does anyone have any pros or cons about these choices. Other boats and issues to consider. Any input would be appreciated. As to our past experience we owned a 44’ DeFever before the kids were born. We expect to put the house on the market around September and begin the next phase in our lives.

Re: Dreamers ready to take the plunge

Friends had a 49 gulfstar with 6v71 detroits. Nice comfortable live aboard. It's nice to have the big galley.

CHATEAU DE MER is also a nice boat. Bob kept her well.

The Chris craft is a similar layout to the 43dc but larger. And with an enclosed upper deck. As a floating condo look for the space you need more than the ability to cross an ocean.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You might look at an Atlantic 47, another Jack Hargrave design, I think. Not too many made, but a very nice boat.

Looks like an offer is already on the books.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Yes we just got the call. We are now the owners of Bobk’s Chateau de Mer. We look at the boat on
    Saturday and look like Bob (God rest his sole) took very good care of her.

Congratulations on your purchase. The boat showed exceptionally well when we were onboard. It was obviously well loved.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    Yes we just got the call. We are now the owners of Bobk’s Chateau de Mer. We look at the boat on
    Saturday and look like Bob (God rest his sole) took very good care of her.
    Congrats
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Congrats, I wish you smooth sailing and a lot of years of enjoyment.
    Regards;
    Byron
    “In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant.”
    ― Elwood P. Dowd

There is a very nice 44 defever next to me in Marco Island that just went on the market. I have no idea of the layout, but my guess it is too tall. It is in that price range.

I have friends with a Californian 55, 3 cabins and a cockpit, i think that boat without a cockpit is a 48, nice boat also, most had 3208 Catts. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.