Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hull Separation 65ft. Hatteras Sports fisherman

I have a problem with my 2004 Hatteras 65 Sports fisherman. I have been fighting sea water intrusion in the forward stateroom and a bit in the master stateroom too for two years now. It seems the inner hull and the outside hull have come apart. We have re-caulked the seam under the metal rub rail many times with silicone, 5200, and window caulking, but all have failed over time,working their way out. The problem is so bad now that the screws are bending and in some areas close to the pulpit shearing off. All the fiberglass tabbing in the rope locker has broke free and I’m sure the tabbing behind the cabinets in the stateroom is broke free too.
    I love the boat and just want to get this problem fixed right.

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone you think maybe able to help me.

Thanks!

Re: Hull Separation 65ft. Hatteras Sports fisherman

That joint should be bonded together between the 2 layers. I've repaired some with epoxy but it's a bear. If the tabbing is not accessible without tearing out interior items you have a big job on your hands.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

where are you located? Have you reached out to Hatteras directly?

When you say inner and outside hull, are you taking about the glass layers on each side of the foam core ? That shouldn’t come apart and no silicone or 5200 is going to fix it. You need see how far the delamination goes and fix it right. If it s a small area you may get away with objecting epoxy on both sides and clamping the skins and core together with a couple of bolts. If the area is fairly large I think the only way to do it right will be to cut out the delaminates glass and lay new glass. Obviously a professional job. Forget the silicon

This is likely affecting the integrity of the hull to deck joint.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    where are you located? Have you reached out to Hatteras directly?
    Sent the same report to Hatteras today, just thought I would look for opinion here too, I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a big job.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    When you say inner and outside hull, are you taking about the glass layers on each side of the foam core ? That shouldn’t come apart and no silicone or 5200 is going to fix it. You need see how far the delamination goes and fix it right. If it s a small area you may get away with objecting epoxy on both sides and clamping the skins and core together with a couple of bolts. If the area is fairly large I think the only way to do it right will be to cut out the delaminates glass and lay new glass. Obviously a professional job. Forget the silicon This is likely affecting the integrity of the hull to deck joint.
    Sorry talking about the hull and the deck cap. The silicone seal under the metal rub rail keeps falling out and the inner tabs has broke loose. On rough days sea water in running down the inside of the hull soaking the paneling and carpet.

In te many years I have followed this forum, this is the first time I have heard of a structural issue such as this.
    I second others suggestion to reach out to Hatteras for assistance. I am sure they would be as interested as you to determine cause and resolution.

You re going to have to remove headliner, trim and cabinetry to access the deck/ hull joint from the inside. Water Often travels some distance inside so hopefully while the leak may be affecting more than one area the source could be limited. Has there ever been a hit in the area? This is prtty rare on a hatteras.

How long have you own the boat? Nothing on the survey? There should be telll tale signs. Any stress cracksin the area?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If it was me I would stop using the boat, the more use, the more structural damage is going to spread, and also the water damage to stuff you can't see. Just like others, my guess is the boat took a very hard hit at some point that broke the deck joint and the tabbing.
    Repair wise this is a huge job, unfortunately no miracle stuff from a tube is fixing this one, probably won't know how big until you start removing the interior.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Pic's worth a thousand words. You have any? Can snap any and post them?

First you need to really isolate where the water is coming from. You can do this by being inside the boat and have someone spray a water hose in very small areas outside. Often you will be shocked how far water will travel before it is visible inside the boat.

As for the 'silicone keeps falling out', I'm gonna def need to see some pics of that. Silicone is probably the last thing I would use in this situation. But since silicone has been used you are going to have to be VERY cautious with cleaning/prepping the surface for proper sealing/bedding.

Just my gut guess.... the water is not coming from where the silicone patch is. Get us some pics of the area/damage and many on here can help get you pointed in the right direction. Years of water intrusion unchecked can delaminate anything, no matter how well crafted, I wouldn't be so quick to point blame at a manufacturer on this. Depending on your location there very well may be termites involved as well.