Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

NAID Stabilizer jiggle

So now my stabilizers on my '78 53MY have suddenly begun to "jiggle" or vibrate noticably at speeds of 13-15knots. Occasionally even at around 10 knots.

What's unusual is I've been running with only minimal sea conditions, mabe 2 1/2 ft. max on my port quarter or directly on my beam.

The effect is causing the boat to literally bobble from left to right in very short motions as if the unit is in a state of panic and can't make up it's mind as to how it wants to handle these minor conditions. It has performed flawlessly up till now in some challenging seas.

My gauges both show normal temps and fluid. Any thoughts about what's up and what to do?

Re: NAID Stabilizer jiggle

You could call Naiad. I had to troubleshoot a problem with my 1985 vintage stabilizers and they walked me right through it.

How is your filter change gauge? I don't think it is the oil, though. It sounds more like electrical. Mine give a little flutter when you turn them on. Maybe it's just a loose wire and they keep turning on and off.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You'll get that movement if the stabilizers are going in and out of active stabilization. If you have the boat speed sensor that starts and stops the stabilizing action based on speed, make sure it's feeding the right info to the stabilizers and the connection is good. If it thinks boat speed is going fast, then slow, then fast, it'll turn the stabilizers on and off. When they first come on, even at very slow speed, they'll turn the boat as they try to compensate for normal list. When they go off, the boat will turn again as the fins move to centered from whatever they were doing.

If that's not it, definitely call Naiad. You don't want them making the boat heel the wrong way by mistake at an inopportune time.

BTW - Naiad makes an upgrade now to go to the new MultiSea Control which gets rid of the old gyro sensor. Much more sensitive and digital so you can adjust roll sensitivity and adjust for following seas, etc. If it's your sensor, check the price of the upgrade vs. fixing your controller.

Doug
    Last edited by Nonchalant1; 04-11-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Doug,
    So do you have the MulitiSea II or the old HGC gyro? Mine has the gyro. I like the simplicity of it and wonder if the MultiSea is really worth looking into. It seems like it might just be more to go wrong with all of the electronics.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky,

MultiSea II. The Naiad guys that installed it say it's great, but they're Naiad guys. No comparison because it's the only one I've ever had. I think it works great.

Doug

I don't know anything about stabilizers except that I'd like to have 'em! However, the random-movement symptoms sound similar to those I experienced with my autopilot recently. I loosened/corrosion-X'd/retightened every electrical connection in the entire system and it functions perfectly now. Since we all know from experience that boats/water/electricity should never be used together(!), it could be as simple as that. I hope so!

Good Luck, and if you decide to get rid of those dang pesky things, I'll pay for the shipping!

FWIW I was quoted $13-14k for the upgrade. A stiff price to pay for some accelerometers and net fewer parts, however, the 3-term function is great in a following sea.

OUCH...I guess I'm glad we have a convertable.