Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 32 Volt combination masthead light question

Scott thanks for that info. That is kind of what I thought I needed to do. I did buy the red and green bulbs. Marine Beam site is excellent about specifying what type and heat range bulbs to get for each fixture. I think it was worth buying from them just for the info. I plan to eventually convert all my lighting including the 120V to LED. Right now I have done the 120V screw in bulbs to LED. As you said it will reduce battery draw on the DC side. Also it will reduce generator load especially on the spreader lights. I hope to find a good LED for them at a reasonable price.

When my boat arrived in Australia The lights and PowerPoints were converted to 240 volts. So it was easy to use LEDs for the a.c. lights.There is a Canadian company based near Calgary which offers 32 V DC LED Edison screw in globes. They are fabulous. I have purchased about 25 so far. Google Hatteras LED bulbs. I have also purchased from MarineBeam and found very helpful. Converting all of the 32 volt lights on the boat to LED So that both the a.c. and the DC PowerPoints and lights run through a small 1200 W inverter was one of the best upgrades I have made to my boat. Indeed with just about every single night burning, I am using aproximately 14 A at 12 V via the inverter.

Just an update to this topic. If anyone decides to use the Marinebeam convertor make sure you buy a spare. Mine only lasted about 3 months and is out. Marinebeam customer service was excellent today in sending me a replacement and putting the spare in the same envelope so I was out no shipping however I had to cut a trip short Saturday when the lights would not come on. I diagnosed it as the convertor but had to wait for daylight to leave and had to be back before sunset. Cut out my amberjack fishing. If they continue to go out like this I may go back to 32 volt. Marine beam said they were going to look at it to see if they could determine the issue. It shouldn't be the load as I installed it at the Nav breaker and as far as I know these LED's were the only load on the circuit. Hopefully I just got a bad one.