Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Battery/Charging Problem

The front battery on my port side continues to run hot and use water. On my 74, everything is 24 volts. The port side starts the port engine and is the house bank. The charger appears to be overcharging just that one front battery. I have replaced that battery twice in the last week and she still runs hot. The other 12volt 8D on that side does not. Could it be that the charger is not turning off on that bank? If so, why wouldn't both batteries on that side get warm? Any help would be appreciated. By the way, as far as I can tell, there is nothing else connected to either of the two batteries themselves on the port side.

Re: Battery/Charging Problem

Batteries should always be replaced by bank, not just one in a bank unless the bank is fairly new

You need to measure voltage at the terminals on both batteries with the charger on and then off and again a few hours later. I wonder if it s not the second battery that s discharging, causing the charger to overcharge the new one.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I replaced all four with new batteries. Under these circumstances, having replaced all four with new batteries, why would the new battery on that one bank continue to get hot even after the entire bank was replaced?

Is the charger a single channel charging a stack of two 12v batteries?

As suggested measure the individual voltages with charger on and off.

What are the voltage levels and times for the charger cycles after an engine start? What is the temp in the battery box?

Does that bank have a temp probe to debate the charging voltages with high temp?

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

If they are charged as a bank, with one lead on one battery and the other lead on the second battery I don’t see how any external factor would affect that one battery.

Some chargers have four 12v outputs and charge each battery individually. If that s the case then the charger may be the problem overcharging one battery.

AGM or lead acids? If lead acid did you check water levels ?

But again start by measuring voltages at the battery terminals
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    If they are charged as a bank, with one lead on one battery and the other lead on the second battery I don’t see how any external factor would affect that one battery.

Some chargers have four 12v outputs and charge each battery individually. If that s the case then the charger may be the problem overcharging one battery.

AGM or lead acids? If lead acid did you check water levels ?

But again start by measuring voltages at the battery terminals
    The set up could be picking on one battery if that's the hottest spot in the battery box and no temp sensor for the charger and/or some lead resistance that is not uniform
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-04-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

I hope to have more information on this tomorrow. I think we have some large amperage draw on the house bank. We intend to turn off each breaker one by one to try to find it The new batteries would not even light the D.C. Lights after ten hours with the charger off. Perhaps a head pump, genset pre heat etc. definitely a problem. I am trying not to boil out the second new lead battery installed last week. These are wet cell, 12 volt 8 D batteries. Not sure yet about the charger capabilities. It is probably OEM.

If the house is 24v and the charger is 24v both battaeties should be used equallly
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Interim Update - aft battery in two bank setup on port side not receiving a charge from charger. Could it be a bad Vanner causing this problem? If not, it may be cabling somewhere either on these two batteries or elsewhere? The Vanner is new as of 9/15.

Not understanding how a Vanner is or would be used in the battery charging loop.
    Our Vanner, Voltmaster Equalizer, is used to lower 24v to 12v that feeds a 12v breaker panel for electronics.
    Vanner also make a DC to DC up converter, ie 12v to 24v.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E