Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ac problem

ac problem

I have a split system 16000 BTU. Main salon unit keeps tripping circut breaker after one second. Was blowing great cool air, and then gradually loosing cool air then shutting off.Forward unit works great.The unit is a cruise air. Unit shuts down even with the gen. running,Any ideas would be wonderful.

Re: ac problem

Everytime i ve had a compressor trip a breaker on start, it had to be replaced. It could also be the start capacitor but...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Marina said its the compressor,Cruise air 16000 with reverse cycle. being retired what are the chances of buying a used unit. They also said it will need an evaporator.The cost to replace they said was over 5000.00 Dollars. any suggestions would be great.

Jeese, I had one 16000 BTU Condenser replaced for less then half that up in Northeast several years ago. Sounds like they are outsourcing and applying the 2.0 multiplier to me, but my work was about 5 years ago. This was a buried condenser on a 43DC that is in worst possible place mind you (like corner of crawl space with 2' opening).

I ve replaced a number of compressors over the years, never the entire system.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal,

Where did you source your compressors for replacement and who did the refitting to the condensing base?

I been using the same AC tech for 10 or 15 years... he gets the parts, get the job done and stands behind it. One of the last compressors i had replaced was a 24k and the bill was around $1800 three years ago
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had a similar issue after start up. It ran for about a minute and shut down. Alarms went off. A friend pulled the strainer basket to find I had sucked up sea week. He cleaned the strainer and opened the sea cock. No water. A diver went down and found it clogged. Cleaned up and a ok.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I have a 1989 40DC in Scottsboro, AL. I had the same problem and just received the bill for the condenser. It is a Cruisair 16000 unit. $3735 plus freight and tax and labor.

I just replaced both the compressors and a blower motor on two of my 16,500 btu units.
    Parts were. Compressors $250 each, and blower motor $300. I removed the units and took them to the shop and the labor total was $800.