Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Cruisair evaporator replacement fan motor

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    For some reason I cannot edit posts on my phone. I don’t need the contact after all: I decided to go with the replacement unit since I called them and learned that it will work on high power only. We only ever use the unit on high anyway. I cleaned and lubed the old motor and it works again!! It barely moved when I checked it before removal and disassembly but the poking and prodding to take the squirrel cage blower off must have loosened it up. I also shot some WD-40 into it as well. Removing 30 years of dust and debris probably did not hurt either. I’m going to put it back in and keep the other assembly as a spare since this old one is compatible with the rheostat speed control.
    Glad it worked out for you. Make sure it puts out enough air on heat. If not, you may find the unit short cycling due to high pressure trip.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Glad it worked out for you. Make sure it puts out enough air on heat. If not, you may find the unit short cycling due to high pressure trip.
    Good idea, there is a cold front moving through tomorrow IIRC and that will be a perfect time to find out. As an aside: thank goodness these kind of things always go back together easier and with less blood sweat and tears than they come apart! For marine air conditioning an air handler in a dinette seat is relatively low on the degree of difficulty scale.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

In the past I have used
    www.hvacpartsupplier.com for replacement compressor for RX7, and a blower assembly for EBO7C
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

I never got around to replacing mine. I found that putting the fan on auto allows it to run all the time. Even when the compressor is off the fan will go to very low and stay spinning. I know its coming one day when it won't start but for now she is doing pretty good.

I am resurrecting this thread due to a failed blower for my Guest Stateroom evaporator.

I have 5 AC units and all of them are split R22 systems. All compressors are located in the engine room and the evaporators are located in their respective spaces for cooling.

The blower unexpectedly stopped working about three weeks ago on my trip from Chesapeake, VA to Bradenton, FL. I finally got around to removing the unit and the blower wheel is hard to rotate. When I manually spin it, it doesn't even rotate 90 degrees. I'm assuming the motor bearing failed which eventually failed the motor. I have not yet tried energizing the motor. I do not see a way to just replace the motor on the unit. Therefore I'm in search of a new blower assembly. I cannot see the nameplate on the evaporator since it is mounted in the top of a closet about 1-inch from the ceiling.... of course that's where the nameplate is located. The evaporator is approximately 9" H x 9" W x 4" D. The compressor is a 7000 BTU unit.

I've searched everywhere for a Dometic replacement motor, but nothing ... and I mean nothing comes up. I'm OK with replacing entire blower, but am somewhat concerned if I can find the transition piece between the blower and the evaporator coil. The inlet to the blower (in the center of the unit) is 5" diameter. The outlet is 4.75" diameter where the outlet transition piece is mounted. The square flange on the blower outlet is about 5.5" x 5.5" with the mounting holes about 4.25" on center for each set of holes.

Original motor is Model 70637073, Type U6381, P/N 333650, 115 VAC, 50/60 Hz.

I've looked at non-OEM replacements and this appears to be the closest I've found....

Fasco 50755-D500 Centrifugal Blower with Sleeve Bearing, 1,600 rpm, 115V, 60Hz, 1 amps: Industrial Hvac Blowers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Any words of wisdom from the brain-trust or lessons learned from those that have replaced these blowers??

Thanks!Guest Stateroom Blower 01.jpgGuest Stateroom Blower 02.jpgGuest Stateroom Blower 03.jpg
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

These later cruisair blowers are junk. I ve had to get a few replaced on boats I run over the years, some as “new” as 4 years old, my AC guy got them from crui$air. They re likely off the shelf Dayton blowers

https://www.grainger.com/search/hvac...ts_optout=true
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

When one of my evaporator blower motors failed in 2013 I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And extracted the motor for replacement. The unit has worked as new for 9 years while being on 24/7.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

My motor is 230v however and I see that yours is 115v. My unit uses the digital control panel with electronic variable fan speed and so I felt that finding a shaded pole motor was important and I did not use the common PSC variety.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Some how mine started working again. I cleaned the blower wheel best I could and may have shot some oil in there. Since you have the motor and housing out the hard part should be done. Let us know your source and model number if you find a replacement. We are dealing with variable speed on some Trane units at work and were told a place in Germany makes theirs and has been shut down for covid. Hopefully these smaller motors aren't in that mode.