Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Cruisair evaporator replacement fan motor

Does anyone know a part number or source for a blower motor that will fit a Cruisair EBO10C evaporator unit. The bearings are starting to squeal on startup and I know its going soon. It is located behind a wall panel and sofa in the salon. Accessibility is an issue and I want to have the right part on hand when I pull it out. I have found the entire assembly for $700 online but I only need the motor. I was hoping to be able to see the motor and get some numbers off it but its inside a sealed duct. Being its Louisiana and im staying on the boat a few more days I didnt want to risk trying to remove the coil unit to get the information. I also found two transformers behind the couch wall that look like as much fun to work on as the a/c. I guess they are to maintain the voltage levels or something.Getting the couch out and back in was a royal pain

IMG_2182.jpg

Re: Cruisair evaporator replacement fan motor

When I faced this problem on my EBO16 evaporator all roads kept leading to "the motor is no longer available". It is reputed that the variable speed function of the SMXII control that I have needs an older shaded pole motor to operate correctly (there is more than one scheme to vary motor rpm) as apposed to the PSC versions mostly found today. I searched based on voltage, rpm, motor physical size and SP construction and found this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if that unit still has the correct motor but it sure beats a whole new evaporator, even though you take the new unit apart and throw away the blower housing. In my case the extracted motor was an exact match and has been in operation since 2013.

I believe that I checked my smaller EBO evaporators (8 and 12 I think) and saw that the motors were all the same but I am not 100% sure.
    George
    Last edited by Reefgeorge; 07-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Thanks George. I will give that a try. I have the SMX control but pretty much run fan at full speed all the time. I wish I could maintain my a/c and take the thing out. If it lasts until summer is over I may just pull out then but want to have something on hand in case it goes out before.

I’m bringing back this thread since my fan motor just died. Was this a successful replacement? If so I’ll go ahead and order one up for delivery on Tuesday. If not does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I am currently in Fort Lauderdale waiting for south winds to make our first crossing to the Bahamas, so if there is a local source I’ll get it there and save some time. I have heard talk of Grainger having a replacement as well, but don’t know if that is correct.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht
    1986 model launched in August 1987

I last ordered that unit a few years ago and it was the correct motor at the time. I extracted the motor from the housing and it has been running great in my Cruisair evaporator since. I can not vouch for the motor type that would be found in that unit now.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

My fan motor appears to have been installed in 1987 when the boat was built! The compressor units in the generator room have all been replaced over the years but not the evaporators and their fans. I’ll pull the old one out and see what’s going on with it first.
    Does anyone have experience with an electric motor rebuilder in Fort Lauderdale they can recommend? That could be an alternative to buying new.....
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

I could be wrong about this, but I don't think the Grainger available motor is correct. I've never heard of anyone rebuilding those motors, but who knows. I recently had one to go bad. My local marine HVAC guy has shelves of good motors he's taken out of boats on system changes. This was the second time I've gone to the well on this in five years. Paid $75 for the motor--another case against rebuilding. You should be able to go that route down there, or I can get you my guy's contact info.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I'm sure you can find a rebuilder out there but, I went to have a small modern rebuilt and was told it would be 250.00 . I would get the info from Robert and order one form his guy.

Robert, can you send me your ac guys contact info? I found this replacement online: https://electricmotorwarehouse.com/d...60-50hz-2c917/ but I’m not sure it will work. I have the old rotary knob rheostat type speed control instead of the SMX panel like in my salon.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht

For some reason I cannot edit posts on my phone. I don’t need the contact after all: I decided to go with the replacement unit since I called them and learned that it will work on high power only. We only ever use the unit on high anyway.
    I cleaned and lubed the old motor and it works again!! It barely moved when I checked it before removal and disassembly but the poking and prodding to take the squirrel cage blower off must have loosened it up. I also shot some WD-40 into it as well. Removing 30 years of dust and debris probably did not hurt either. I’m going to put it back in and keep the other assembly as a spare since this old one is compatible with the rheostat speed control.
    Michael & Beth
    Hull Number CV312
    63’ Cockpit Motor Yacht