Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 cycle oil

Genesis Guest

Texaco....

.... is cool - I've checked the specs on it. The big deals are 40wt, (no multigrades!) and sufated ash under 1.0%....

divernc Guest

Re: Texaco....

Texaco URSA HD 40 in 6v92 TAs since new in 1979 in 43C. 2050 original hours; purrs like a DD kitten should.

Gene Guest

Ursa Oils

I just changed the oil in my 12V-71s and did some checking into URSA SAE 40 oils. There is a ¨Heavy Duty¨and a ¨Super Plus¨. I got a recommendation at a marine supply to use the ¨Super Plus¨ and followed up with a call to Covington Diesel in NC who supplied my engines to Hateras. They said to go with the Super Plus but also recommended Delvac made by Mobil. He said it was developed directly for the Detroit Diesel specs. Does anyone have any info about Delvac? I think I will start using it beginning at my next oil change, subject to further research of course!

ACR Guest

Ursa oils

I've been using Mobil's Delvac 1240C in my 6V92's and Onan gen set for the last three years without any problems. The previous owner had been using it so I stayed on the same program.
    ACR

spartonboat1 Guest

Any More Delvac?

Will be curious if you can still source Mobil Delvac, since their merger with Exxon. They cleared the pipeline of the Delvac, not very ceremoniously, and now only market the Exxon XD-40 (see post above). Also, I know a major Hatt marina who uses the Texaco Ursa 40 in the 2 cycle DD's.

Also see post that straight 40wgt (no multiwgt) and low ash is mandatory for the DD 2 cycles, due to their exhaust at ports, not through valves in the heads. Finally, the 40wgt is needed due to high pressures in the valve train.

Much good info on both the DD web site and Mobil.

6-71N's owner...