Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 Position / 3 Position Ign. Switch

Question around Ignition Switch, Can I replace the Std. 2 position Ign. Switch + Push Button with a 3 Position Switch, with the last position being (Held Closed) used as the Push button circuit? or cna the typical 3 pos. Switch not handle the Load?
    Thanks

Re: 2 Position / 3 Position Ign. Switch

He's but why if the buttons work. It just leaves holes
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Trying to minimize the space used for the controls, sys monitoring, bilge switches ect...so I can install newer type rockers in place of the OEM toggles and separate lights. One of the Panel kits I have located does not come with push to start only push to shut down (DD 6-71's), They said it would work but wanted to get an opinion of some one not try to to sell it.
    Thanks

I have custom panels made for projects like that.

It's not rocket science. if there's a wiring diagram for the start stop panel you can have whatever you need made.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Here's a pic of one I had made for a flybridge.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Trying to minimize the space used for the controls, sys monitoring, bilge switches ect...so I can install newer type rockers in place of the OEM toggles and separate lights. One of the Panel kits I have located does not come with push to start only push to shut down (DD 6-71's), They said it would work but wanted to get an opinion of some one not try to to sell it.&nbsp;<br>Thanks&nbsp;

Good Looking Panel set up..good work

I do not have 6-71’s, but if they are wired like 12-92’s you should be able to use a 3 pos ignition switch with off/on/momentary start. The start position cannot be held closed. The ignition switch turns on the gauges and provides power to the starter switch and the kill solinoid.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Quote Originally Posted by kjstamping View Post
    Trying to minimize the space used for the controls, sys monitoring, bilge switches ect...so I can install newer type rockers in place of the OEM toggles and separate lights. One of the Panel kits I have located does not come with push to start only push to shut down (DD 6-71's), They said it would work but wanted to get an opinion of some one not try to to sell it.&nbsp;<br>Thanks&nbsp;
    Maybe close to what you're thinking about. Motors are controlled by three rockers: Start (green), ignition (yellow) and shutdown (red).

IMG_8356.jpg
    Not as pretty as Scott's, but a lot cleaner than original for sure.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

10. Re: 2 Position / 3 Position Ign. Switch

It's possible to do. I would look at cole herse's ignition switch line for that specific switch.

As a side note, I suspect the reason they used push buttons back when our boats were built was due to the startup (momentary stop and start hold) procedure to heat up the cylinders on detroits. Are you running 4 strokes / repowered?