Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I searched google and could not find your papers on the workings of lead acid batteries. Im sure I just dont know where to look.

Just to be sure were talking about the same thing.

lead ( Heavy) and Sulfuric acid ( electrolyte solution ) in a system can store and release energy.

As the battery is cycled ( from storage to release through its working voltage) lead sulfate is formed. Recharging converts it back to lead and electrolyte but its never 100 % at regular voltages. Equalizing charges convert most of the remaining sulfate to lead and electrolyte but not 100%.

If a battery is not fully charged it will remain sulfated and lose power. The last 20% of the charge goes from 60% or so efficient to about 5%. Thisis why many batterys are never properly charged.

The amount of lead in the battery will determine its longevity. The shape and surface area of the lead determine its capacity and AH rating. More lead lasts longer. Like more diesel fuel its better to have more than less.

My experience shows more lead is longer life. It also shows the best battery technology for inverters is NOT LEAD ACID.

Im a victron Battery, Charger and Inverter DISTRIBUTOR. I design systems and install them to be fully functional and almost transparent to the owners in maintenance and care. Then again you do what you want because you talked to a lady at the manufacturer.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...046-Deka-8V195
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Reserve Capacity 819 is: 167 minute at 8 Hours
    Reserve Capacity 8V195 is: 170 minutes at 8 Hours

Translation:

Reserve Capacity (RC) is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 o F (26.7 o C) is discharged at 25 amps before the voltage falls below 10.5 volts (for 12V Battery, translation: "Dies"). To convert Reserve Capacity (RC) to Ampere-Hours at the 25 amp rate, multiple RC by .4167. More ampere-hours (or RC) are better in every case.

So, it takes 819 167 minutes to discharge.
    It takes 8V195 170 minutes to discharge.

Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Believe what you want it's your boat.

More lead is longer life (more cycles not a single discharge).

I sell batteries from under $75 to over $3 000. It's just a matter of buying what's right for the system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Believe what you want it's your boat.

More lead is longer life (more cycles not a single discharge).

I sell batteries from under $75 to over $3 000. It's just a matter of buying what's right for the system.
    Thank and I respect your opinion. I wish battery makers would supply such information to compare. I probably would not stay on inverter more than 2 hours at any one point. I do not live on the boat so, thats what is going to influence the decision. I am having 4 8V195s installed tomorrow for the low $1400s.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    Would anyone who has the outback 32v charger be kind to share their programming voltages and durations (flood charge, absorption charge, float....etc) so that I could use that formula for charging? Thanks
    From a post that I wrote several years ago:

Here is some info that I thought others might like to have:

I wanted to set up my Outback with the proper charger settings for my Rolls 275a/h batteries. I called Outback and the offered to upgrade the software in my Mate for free to the lastest version so I have the most programming options. Great company! I may also add the HUB and the FLEXNET-DC to the system to get even more info.

Next I called Rolls and got their recommended settings. They are as follows:

absorb voltage 38.4
    absorb time 2.0 hrs
    float voltage 35.0
    absorb time 24.0 hrs
    refloat voltage 33.3
    equalize voltage 42.0
    equalize time 2.0 hrs

This all sounds about right, but I was surprised at how high the equalize voltage was. Rolls told me to monitor the specific gravity and make sure that all cells were coming up to 1265 at the end of the equalization. I will do that to make sure this works out correctly, but those were the recommendations.

I also asked about how far I can draw this back down. He told me that it would not hurt the batteries to draw them as low as 28v, but that was completely discharged. He said that most like a 50% reserve so that would make the low cutout setpoint at 31.4v. I don't know what's in there now, but we do get a 12hr period on that bank before charging, so I may just leave it alone.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks alot. Very helpful post.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL