Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

I have two 32v Outbacks. Here is what I did:

I set the charge settings to the batter manufactures specs. You will need to find those for your batteries.

1) Get the charge specs from battery manufacturer. Usually they have a data sheet and you can run the math for the bank by adding up the voltages.
    2) Apply the right settings using the Mate/ Mate 2. Read / Download / Print this if you don't already have it: http://www.outbackpower.com/download...usermanual.pdf . There is a way to do so in the menu system.

All said though as others have mentioned you probably need to replace batteries.

Good luck!
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 06-18-2018 at 09:26 PM.

2. Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

One other question....Do you have the temp sensor attached? I would check into that before equalizing.

Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

I have no temp sensor but set up my Outback according the specs from Rolls for my batteries. 9+ years and my batts are still going strong. I equalize once or twice per year.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: Outback 32v owners....help please

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I have no temp sensor but set up my Outback according the specs from Rolls for my batteries. 9+ years and my batts are still going strong. I equalize once or twice per year.

Do you find an increase in capacity once you have equalized? I have AGM's so im not sure how much that will help. It's probably worth a shot though?

Quote Originally Posted by MVCaprice View Post

Do you find an increase in capacity once you have equalized? I have AGM's so im not sure how much that will help. It's probably worth a shot though?

Yes, I go from very little capacity to near normal after an equalize.
    Sky Cheney

My understanding is that you only equalize flooded batteries. Be careful.
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Gusshr View Post
    My understanding is that you only equalize flooded batteries. Be careful.
    That is probably true. The higher voltage boils the electrolyte which desulfates the plates. The battery acid looks like a milkshake at the end of the EQ charge. Then it clears up as the particulate falls to the bottom of the battery.
    Sky Cheney

About two months ago I noticed my newish 8 volt house batteries were failing to hold their charge or discharging far too quick. My boat is on a swing mooring with a 300 watt 32volt solar panel system that does a pretty good job in summer, but not during a Sydney winter. I also have a new 32 volt Analytic Systems battery charger, but it needs the genset to charge. I can not keep my batteries always fully charged and reckon they sulphated with inconsistent charging and usage.

How to solve the problem?

In the end I purchased a Battery Extra desulphating device from the UK. The manufacturer seemed quite happy to answer all my emails. Product arrived in 4 days. Its now been wired up this past month to my 2 banks of four 8 volt batteries (in parallel). Manufacturer says it may take a couple of months for the batteries to come back to full life and they should be cycled as often as possible. (In reality this not possible as boat is used mostly on the weekends.)

Hocus Pocus? Who knows. But for US$100 the Battery Extra device was worth a shot to solve my battery issues. Nice little device with handy LED readout. Perfectly made.

Have a look at:

https://www.recovermybatteries.com/

The 48 volt model covers 32 volt systems (but you have to turn off a switch on the front.)

I guess I'll know in a month or so if it really works, but looking at various Yourtube videos, there appears common consensus that desulphating can work. It also appears to be a different process to equalising the batteries in that it does not cause the battery to bubble or raise the voltage and it is continuously connected.

IMG_5136[1].jpg

Parts received. Have now hardwired the Battery Extra to my parallel battery posts.

IMG_5139[1].jpg

Testing prior to full installation.

I am pretty sure Only Lead acid batteries can be equalized. Not AGMs
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

An AGM is a lead /acid battery, I used to equalize my Lifeline AGM's on my inverter system every 6 months. I would definitely check with the battery manufacturer first and as Sky said you have nothing to lose , if they don't come back you will have to replace anyway.........Pat