Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Additives

Fuel Additives

Just curious if any of you with old Detroits run additives in their fuel? If so what kind and why? I run it in my older diesel tractors as it is my understanding when they took the sulfur out of the fuel the lubrication of fuel pumps, etc was reduced. Most of the owners around me with old Detroits and MANs use Lucas oil. I have put it in my first tanks as the fuel was old and have mixed it with the fresh fuel I have added. Now that I have burned most of the old fuel out just wondering if I should continue this. Im not speaking of biocides but the additives that are supposed to clean injectors, stabilize fuel, etc.

Re: Fuel Additives

I've used Schaeffer 2000 for more than ten years and the last three I've owned Aslan. Why? Why not?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Yes, you need to use additive for lubrication. Cleaning agents are a nice side benefit. But for "visible", measureable results you'll want one that boosts cetane as well. The fuel quality today is terrible.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Old time mechanic recommended that I use the Lucas additive also and I do add every time I add fuel. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I use DieselKleen. On my last trip North to South, my fuel consumption was at least 10% better than the prior trip, apples to apples, as best I could tell. I really like this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I use DieselKleen. On my last trip North to South, my fuel consumption was at least 10% better than the prior trip, apples to apples, as best I could tell. I really like this stuff.
    North to South, that’s downhill ain’t it?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I may swap to the Diesel Kleen. I dont see on the Lucas where it is a cetane booster plus it is $30 to treat 400 gallons. Diesel Kleen gray can is $55 at tractor supply for a can that will treat 1200 gallons. It has cetane booster too. I use it in my tractors and equipment. They all claim to improve economy but there are so many variables offshore I doubt I would ever realize anything there.

Robert I havent seen Schafers in my local stores but I used to drink Schafers Light back in the 80's. It was a step up from K&B beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Yes, you need to use additive for lubrication. Cleaning agents are a nice side benefit. But for "visible", measureable results you'll want one that boosts cetane as well. The fuel quality today is terrible.

What do you mean Quality is low I have read on this forum that diesel last forever
    Just filter it good and run the shit out of them
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I used what Detroit specifically recommends : nothing. If the boat is going to be stored and not used for a long time, they say use some Biobor

Read their fuel specifications and you will note they are looking for as LOW a sulfur content as possible.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014