Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fluorescent light replacement

Our galley fluorescent lighting ballast crapped the bed a month ago so we have been looking for an LED replacement. I came across these and decided to give them a shot, will be installing next week and follow up with the results. They are available in 2x2 as well as 2x4, may be installing in the ER fixtures if they are worthwhile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I542K9SJ&psc=1

Re: Fluorescent light replacement

Quote Originally Posted by ageless View Post
    Our galley fluorescent lighting ballast crapped the bed a month ago so we have been looking for an LED replacement. I came across these and decided to give them a shot, will be installing next week and follow up with the results. They are available in 2x2 as well as 2x4, may be installing in the ER fixtures if they are worthwhile.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...I542K9SJ&psc=1
    Not a bad find. I replaced several on our boat with led fixtures from Home Depot. Have been very happy with them so far. I used about 6 of the 4' stick lights, think they were $29/ea in the engine room, amazing how much better it lights it up than the standard edison bulbs. Made me realize that what I thought was clean was actually a VERY dirty engine room! lol. I plan on adding a couple more forward of the engines and one under each engine sometime later this summer or winter.

Quote Originally Posted by rustybucket View Post
    Not a bad find. I replaced several on our boat with led fixtures from Home Depot. Have been very happy with them so far. I used about 6 of the 4' stick lights, think they were $29/ea in the engine room, amazing how much better it lights it up than the standard edison bulbs. Made me realize that what I thought was clean was actually a VERY dirty engine room! lol. I plan on adding a couple more forward of the engines and one under each engine sometime later this summer or winter.
    Have done the same replacing the bulky 4' fluorescent fixtures (with safety guards). The only difference is that in some ER spaces I use the 24" lights and space them out to extend the coverage. On the lights on the outside of the motors, I mount the lights directly to the outside of the longitudinal floor joist about flush with it's bottom edge (screw through the fixture channel horizontally). This location kills the shadow cast by the original mounting location.

Don't know how long an under-engine location would last. A clean white bilge reflects a lot of light in its own right.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

IMHO 5000 kelvin is very harsh for a galley. Far better for the ER.

These are dimmable which fairs well with the switch that’s already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    IMHO 5000 kelvin is very harsh for a galley. Far better for the ER.
    Theres a few whites for the 4000 to 6000 k color temp.

Warm white is 2800.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.