Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 170 HP Hatteras 38 Convertible

Very helpful insights. I look at the boat and the workmanship looks very tidy, everything looks clean and well kept, if a little spartan, and it seems like it would be economical to run and maintain. Good to get "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey would say.

I have to ask.

When all the responders here tell you dont even consider the boat you reply with it looks well executed but spartan. You do not take the advife from the people you asked but try to roll the responses tonwhat you want to hear.so I have to ask.

Why did you even post this question if you wont listen to the advice you get?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I have to ask.

When all the responders here tell you dont even consider the boat you reply with it looks well executed but spartan. You do not take the advife from the people you asked but try to roll the responses tonwhat you want to hear.so I have to ask.

Why did you even post this question if you wont listen to the advice you get?
    Interesting interpretation of what I said. That is what I thought of the boat before I asked and took the advice that you offered. Thank you. I simply was pointing out how mistaken I could be.

I'm sorry if I didnt understand your last post was from before. We gets lot of people wanting to hear what they want to hear and not reality. That boat needs to be gutted and completly refit.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I was a little alarmed at how wrong my perception of a boat could be. Very educational. Given that, perhaps it would be better to start with the intended use and budget and get advice on which boat would fit the bill. It's not even clear in my mind that I can actually afford a Hatteras, irregardless of the purchase price. My nightmare scenario would be to stretch to buy a boat that ends up needing a $40,000 engine rebuild, or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    When diesel hits $5 per gallon again this will look different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Since we are now exporting oil, I doubt we ll see $5 a gal. but nothing prevents higher HP boats from
    Going slow and enjoying good fuel economy
    I have a boat that tops out at about 30knots, cruises at 18knots right around 1nmpg (with data I have) and probably will get the same 3nmpg at 7-9knots that this turd gets. Why ruin a boat with little engines?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    I was a little alarmed at how wrong my perception of a boat could be. Very educational. Given that, perhaps it would be better to start with the intended use and budget and get advice on which boat would fit the bill. It's not even clear in my mind that I can actually afford a Hatteras, irregardless of the purchase price. My nightmare scenario would be to stretch to buy a boat that ends up needing a $40,000 engine rebuild, or two!
    We purchased a 1969 45c last spring 8-71 mains with 500 hours on them the transmissions were rebuilt at the same time. We have put almost 200 hours on her since purchase most of those hours at 8 knots. We are burning 6 gallons an hour at that speed and leaking one gallon of oil. The boat is in pretty good shape all things considered. We just spent a week on the hook and all systems worked as advertised. We spent $25,000 to buy her and spent about $5,000 more on things to make her more comfortable on anchorage. There are some really good deals on these older boats if you look around.

Nice to hear that. The original 45s are nice boats- dated, but still very functional. And I'll bet you don't have boat payments, do you...

The old 45' are sturdy gals. A little to thirsty/slow for my liking, but here's a nice updated one with modern power that Slane did: https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/196.../United-States

Ask prices have seemed to creep up lately....
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Nice to hear that. The original 45s are nice boats- dated, but still very functional. And I'll bet you don't have boat payments, do you...
    You are correct, but as we all know it’s still not a cheap proposition.