Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 12-71 Heat Exchanger gland weep holes leaking?

Recently I had the heat exchangers out of our 12v71's for cleaning. When I put the HE's back in I changed the glands, orings and all gaskets. After running a bit i started to see salt weeping coming through the orings and glands on the HE discharge side on the port engine at

higher rpm.

In thinking about this problem and possible causes I am thinking there might be a couple scenarios that i could up against:

1) I somehow have the wrong O-rings installed. I called pc industries and had them look at the diameter of the Detroit orings vs the aftermarket orings and they are the same and i used the same part number on the other side. The oring seal p/n i am using is

2) The exhaust sprayer may be clogged which is creating excessive pressure in the heat exchanger. I haven't looked but have read on this forum that they need to be cleaned from time to time.

I would suspect something else in the cooling system but the flow of water is salt only and i didn't have any other issues with the cooling system that i could tell. However I haven't checked the coolant yet so i need to look a little closer.

Anyone have any experience with a similar issue?

Re: 12-71 Heat Exchanger gland weep holes leaking?

Retighten when hot and see if that works.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Ours had o-rings and gaskets on the end plates. The o-rings had to be in between the gasket and end plate.
    Regards
    Dan

4. Re: 12-71 Heat Exchanger gland weep holes leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    Ours had o-rings and gaskets on the end plates. The o-rings had to be in between the gasket and end plate.
    Yes this is how ours are. There is an inner o-ring, then a metal gland and then an outer o-ring.

Did you install new metal rings also? They compress after used.

6. Re: 12-71 Heat Exchanger gland weep holes leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by VIKING63 View Post
    Did you install new metal rings also? They compress after used.
    Yes i did. They were only installed once!

Just talking about the exchanger assembly part of the cooler.
    I leave in an area where barnacles run heavy and rebuild my exchangers ever other year.
    I have experienced the leak you are referring to (the very first time I serviced mine) then I learned.

Few more comments here:
    • There are an odd number of paper gaskets. Two gaskets on the side with NO O-rings and one gasket on the side with the O-rings. Sometimes it is not intuitive about where they go. If you use 4 gaskets to assemble the unit (two on the side with the O-rings) you will not be able to get enough compression on the O-rings and they will leak.
    • No not reuse the crush rings.
    • I found that the genuine DD O-rings and crush rings work better than aftermarket or O-ring crosses.
    • If you do use aftermarket O-rings make sure that they are made from a material that can withstand constant exposure to both salt water and the coolant type you use.
    • All of the gasket and O-ring surfaces need to be Very Very clean before re-assembly.
    • Use a O-Ring assembly lube on the O-Rings during the assembly of that section of the exchanger.
    • Do not use RTV to seal the gaskets or the O-ring surfaces. If you must use a sealant then use a proper thin gasket sealer compound!!!!
    • You have to tighten up everything in a very uniform fashion!!!
    • The design of this sealing assembly is that everything goes up rigid and should not need to be re-torqued after assembly.
    I have a *.pdf detailed exploded view of the exchanger for a 8V71 which is almost the same as the 12V71 unit. I can send it to you in a e-mail if you like. Just send me your email address.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

8. Re: 12-71 Heat Exchanger gland weep holes leaking?

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post
    I leave in an area where barnacles run heavy and rebuild my exchangers ever other year.
    I have experienced the leak you are referring to (the very first time I serviced mine) then I learned.

Few more comments here:
    • There are an odd number of paper gaskets. Two gaskets on the side with NO O-rings and one gasket on the side with the O-rings. Sometimes it is not intuitive about where they go. If you use 4 gaskets to assemble the unit (two on the side with the O-rings) you will not be able to get enough compression on the O-rings and they will leak.
    • I found that the genuine DD O-rings and crush rings work better than aftermarket or O-ring crosses.
    • If you do use aftermarket O-rings make sure that they are made from a material that can withstand constant exposure to both salt water and the coolant type you use.
    • All of the gasket and O-ring surfaces need to be Very Very clean before re-assembly.
    • Use a O-Ring assembly lube on the O-Rings during the assembly of that section of the exchanger.
    • Do not use RTV to seal the gaskets or the O-ring surfaces. If you must use a sealant then use a proper thin gasket sealer compound!!!!
    • The design of this sealing assembly is that everything goes up rigid and should not need to be re-torqued after assembly.
    I have a *.pdf detailed exploded view of the exchanger for a 8V71 which is almost the same as the 12V71 unit. I can send it to you in a e-mail if you like. Just send me your email address.
    These are all great points. I used gasket tack to hold the gaskets on and no RTV. I did however have some tank imperfections that required jbweld to smooth out and seal. There are a couple bolts on the vertical part of the gasket that dont have much material behind them which can result in a bolt sealing leak if you are not careful.

Quote Originally Posted by KPTIM View Post

Few more comments here:
    Can you send me a copy? ralpop5 at gmail.com Thanks
    John

Hi John,
    Sent you a copy of the exploded view.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia