Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My nuts are frozen

And it's not even January. 3/8" original flare nut on copper water line frozen to 3 way "T" and to the copper pipe. Any way to free this up or am I better off cutting it out and rebuilding? Hit with pb blaster - no joy. Any issue using compression fitting instead of flare if replaced?Mark

Re: My nuts are frozen

heat it if you can if not cut and re flare.

I dont even own compression fittings.

Flare is far better
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Call a doctor you have something really wrong. 😂
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hot cocoa and a hot water bottle might help?
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Try sharkbyte fittings. easy to use, forgiving and pretty much bullet proof.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If they are frozen to the porch spray Pam on them next time. Otherwise I would solder new copper with silver solder. It will be there til the cows come home

Does shark bite have a translation from 3/8 copper refer line to their system?Can you U solder a rigid fitting to the 3/8" refer copper water line?

You should be able to solder refrigeration tubing to pipe. There are also adapters available to solder on as well. You can also take a swedging tool and open one end of the 3/8" tubing and go tubing to tubing if you stay with copper. Remember where you go to find the fittings will determine size. Refrigeration guys use the OD of the tubing while plumbers use ID. So a 3/4" water pipe may be crossed with 7/8" hvac if memory serves me right. Sharkbyte offers pipe to thread so you could connect two sizes with threaded if you go this route. I have seen the gaskets in shark bytes give problems over time but may be poor install

They worked fine woth the copper lines hattera used
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

When I heat the existing flare nut, do u let it cool before trying to free up (using expansion only to break corrosion bond) or do you apply torque while hot?