Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-71 TI Temp

Re: 8-71 TI Temp

Its not often we can go faster than 900RPM in our local boating area and the engines never warm up. Rarely do we go above 1500RPM
    Dieselpro has 160, 170 and 180 degree thermostats... would the 180 degree be my best choice? Any issues using a higher thermostat?
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 08-09-2018 at 07:26 AM.

What ratio do you use on the NAPA Kool? Thinking of going that route next time I change mine as we dont get below freezing either and if so I have block heaters.

3. Re: 8-71 TI Temp

Your heat exchangers will get scaled up in fresh water just like in sea water though to a lesser extent. Get them cleaned and resealed and you problem should go away. Never let those engines get above 190 degrees - not even for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Chad View Post
    The red Detroit stuff. I let it run in the slip for a while and they both came up to about 150 on the thermostat housings. Maybe that got it... Won't know anything until I run it.

No, I haven't flushed the closed side. What kind of coolant are you guys running?

DD Powercool and I check the SCA level yearly.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Its not often we can go faster than 900RPM in our local boating area and the engines never warm up. Rarely do we go above 1500RPM
    Dieselpro has 160, 170 and 180 degree thermostats... would the 180 degree be my best choice? Any issues using a higher thermostat?
    Changing thermostats will not bring up the temps if you're only running 900rpms. Stick with 170's and at least you're good when you do run 'em up.
    Sky Cheney

Thanks. What thermostats would the fzctory have installed when they were built?

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Thanks. What thermostats would the fzctory have installed when they were built?
    All marine DD's should run 170's. Others may disagree but I've had several mechanics tell me that. If you give a DD dealer your serial number, they can tell you what the original part was.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    What ratio do you use on the NAPA Kool? Thinking of going that route next time I change mine as we dont get below freezing either and if so I have block heaters.
    Theres a recommended concentration on the jug that I follow. I usually keep it a bit high so when I fill with distilled a bit theres no big drop.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I pulled the intercooler off today and backflushed them. All I found out of normal was oil. So I inspected the Turbos and found too much end play on the shafts.

Even at the slip I noticed one engine was 20 degrees hotter on the exhaust ports on the manifold than the other side.

Have you guys seen an overheat caused by Turbos going out? Too much exhaust restriction?

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Or just go with Power Cool premix. About same price as concentrate. If your system is tight and you use overflow tanks you should never have to top off.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC