Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What to do...very confused

As a true Hatteras fan and previous owner, I love these boats. Love the ride, and the build quality.
    Been on the look out for a 54 Motor yacht, but have found myself really disappointed in the guest
    stateroom configuration on the '80 and low 90 models. Then along comes the 50 and 55 Viking.
    Quite a change form the long hall and heads across from the sleeping quarters. I am finding myself getting interested, but have no idea how the ride will compare with say a 54 Hat. Does anyone have any comment on the Viking 50-55 late 80's low 90 motor yachts. Same DD as the Hat. but build
    quality in that era?? The big issue is the ride, anyone been on one? Welcome some comments.
    I know or rather suspect they are not painted at the factory. Some have been during their ownership.
    If anyone knows a Hatteras model between 53-60 with cabin entry to a head for the guest cabins,
    excluding the 54 ED, I would really like to hear from you. AND comments re the sea manners of the 50-55 Viking.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Toronto

Re: What to do...very confused

i'm pretty sure the viking hulls were cored with balsa. check for moisture if you choose to go with viking

The motoryachts were built by Gulfstar back then. We had cruising friends with a 55. It was a nice boat, but in my opinion the general quality and fit and finish was somewhere between a Hatteras and a Bayliner, and I think big Bayliners are pretty decent boats so I don't mean that as a total pejorative.
    They put a lot of miles on that boat up and down the east coast and seemed pretty happy with it.
    Personally I like the Hatt 54 better.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Gents, thank you for the warning re coring, and George, your comment about the fit and finish.
    As a Northern boater, moisture and freezing weather don't do well together. And as a perfectionist, fit and finish do matter to me. I have always thought the 54 was a beautiful balance of style and size.
    Great if not the perfect size for Great Lakes boating. I need to invest some time and step aboard a 50 and 55 Viking. Maybe that will make it perfectly clear which direction I should follow.
    ABOUT CORING; you don't mean balsa below the water line do you. That is a definite no go for me.

Thanks for your insight gentlemen, Toronto.

My dad bought a 1984 49 Gulfstar new and owned it for 10 years doing the whole loop. That boat is now on its third owner and logging many miles in the Bahamas. I toured the factory back then. That boat was heavy, even with the balsa coring (above the WL only just like Hatt). I liked the seachest inlet strainer and the seachest outlets that made for no through hull discharge fittings. The difference I noticed was the other components. The pumps, and switches, hardware, etc were not top of the line like Hatteras used(I notice the same on current Vikings). The electrical was decent but more simplistic with no isolation transformers or ways to balance loads with different ships services. I foud the woodwork was much better than Hatteras with several skilled Vietnamese woodworkers on the factory floor. I would not be afraid to own one but I don't care for the looks of the 55-63' models with the short bow and no side decks.

Comparing them to a Bayliner is unfair. They are much better than that and I think you should take a close look at one to decide for yourself. (but I still prefer the Hatteras).
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Comparing them to a Bayliner is unfair.
    C'mon Sky, I said between a Hatt and a Bayliner. And I stick with my opinion that the big Bayliners are decent boats.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    C'mon Sky, I said between a Hatt and a Bayliner. And I stick with my opinion that the big Bayliners are decent boats.
    And I would rank it about the same as a real Viking of the same vintage built in New Jersey. I lived on and worked on one of these for ten years. It was a different model but of that vintage.

A friend of mine has a 38 Bayliner and that Gulfstar was head and shoulders above his boat in fit and finish as well as the quality of materials.

Remember, the Lazarra family designed and built these boats. They were quite innovative and hold several patents like those for S-glass and other structural reinforcement techniques for fiberglass.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 05-20-2018 at 11:08 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I am on my second Viking 63 MY, and love the boat, yes some of the systems are a notch below Hatteras. Some times it can be alittle bit of a handle full in a following sea. However the layout is great and the interior joinery is second to none. The engine room also has a lot of space.

SKY, GEORGE, VIKING63, thank you for your input and thoughts. We all have owned a Hat and I am
    sure we have so many examples of "moments of Pride" when something needed attention, and
    there we were, as we dug into the project, reminded yet again that Hatteras built it properly.
    Always proud of the build quality.
    We do need to step into a 50 and see what it's all about. From photo's, Love the engine room area.
    SKY, GEORGE, nice to be "speaking" again. We meet in JARRETT BAY in 2010. George we were one of your visitors when you brought your 56 to the facility. Enjoyed the evening. Thanks again.
    Sky, you and your Dad we had a chat about the North Channel. I still agree the best cruising waters
    anywhere. We are so lucky !!
    I prefer the profile of the 54 to the Viking. But I use the inside. And as I say to my wife, the
    smallest boat that gives us all we want is the one to really investigate. Yes there are many other
    things to consider, but it is a starting point.
    From your comments, I now feel it should be considered.
    Thank you all Gents, lots of information , appreciate it.

Alex & Ann

Would there be a way to rearrange the interior spaces in a 54 MY as you wanted them? Kind of like Pascal is doing, but on a smaller scale?