Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hot Varnish and Paint: it worked!

Thanks to the member who posted the tip on heating varnish before using. I tried it with Interlux Brightsides paint on my rowing boat a few days ago and it really seemed to make a difference. I got it up to about 120* F by my IR thermometer and rolled it on with a high density foam roller, it smoothed right out and any bubbles just came to the surface and disappeared after a few minutes. It was not necessary to tip with a brush to get a nice glossy finish.

I am going to lay on the varnish next week and I think I'll try to get it a bit warmer since 120* worked out so well, perhaps a double boiler? BTW, I was worried that hot paint would dry too quickly, but that did not seem to be the case, it took about as long to get tacky when put on hot as it always did.

Re: Hot Varnish and Paint: it worked!

You’re welcome.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

The double broiler system works really well. With varnish there will not be any bubbles. You need to get it hot enough that when you wipe your brush off in the can the bubbles disappear. Not sur3 of that temp but I think it would be hotter than 120 degrees.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty, ever tried heating paint?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

No, that was a new one on me.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I was working on the idea that paint is pigmented varnish of a sort. Interlux recommend the same thinners and procedures for both, so I thought they could be similar enough that I would try it out. Maybe at 120* it didn't get hot enough to make a difference? I am varnishing the seats and caprail on the skiff this week and I'll try for 150/160* and see what happens.

I would think that any paint that has to be mixed would have a finite pot life that is reduced by increased temperature?
    Regards
    Dan

This is intriguing. What is the heating method? Double boiler seriously? What about a coffee mug warmer?

If you can get it hot enough. Microwave works great and is easy. Just don’t over hear it. Try 30 seconds at a time until it hot to the touch when you hold the plastic container. When it starts to cool re-heat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California