Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Filters

Fuel Filters

Changed the fuel filters today for the first time, standard screw on kind. I pre filled them and ran the engines for 15 minutes and all seems good. I didn't fill them to the very top, about 1/2" from the top. My question concerns one of the "Trying Not To Sink" episodes where their Racor's had an air problem and when they sat for some time, the fuel would be 1/2" low in the filter. That caused him to stall one time and so now he fills them up (I guess he has a priming pump) before he takes off. My question is why would such a small amount of air cause a stall, given that the fuel is being pumped through the rails anyways? Seems like that would take care of a small amount of air in short order.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

Re: Fuel Filters

I just watched the video again, and he even bleeds the lines. Is that really necessary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JpB8IwpmXI&t=200s
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I did the same as you and had no issues.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

4. Re: Fuel Filters

Are you pre-filling the secondary fuel filters with unfiltered fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Are you pre-filling the secondary fuel filters with unfiltered fuel?
    Yes, but I pour it into the center hole.

Edit: should have been the outside holes.
    Last edited by Photolomy; 03-11-2019 at 08:06 AM.
    Prometheus
    1978 53' MY Hull #529
    Viera, FL

I had same problem as they had in the Trying Not To Sink video. I installed shut off valves right at the filters that I open right before start up and close immediately after shut down, haven’t had a problem since. From other post over the years this seems to be a problem with the port engine on the 53/58 motor yachts for some reason and it is not the Racor check valves. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.