Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cruising on the head

Question concerning the Galleymaid seawater heads on my 55c. Have been using them at dock and slow cruise with no issues. Made the 200 mile journey to my home port and we cruised a bit at 16 knots due to the length of the trip. Tried two different heads when on plane and the pumps won't pick up water at this speed and cant be flushed properly. This is with the tabs down and planing. Is this normal or is there something I can do besides slow down to use potty at cruise. I dont plan on running this way much but its kind of disappointing that my guests cant use head if we ever do cruise at this speed. BTW the two heads are on different sea cocks/strainers on opposite sides of boat.

Re: Cruising on the head

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Question concerning the Galleymaid seawater heads on my 55c. Have been using them at dock and slow cruise with no issues. Made the 200 mile journey to my home port and we cruised a bit at 16 knots due to the length of the trip. Tried two different heads when on plane and the pumps won't pick up water at this speed and cant be flushed properly. This is with the tabs down and planing. Is this normal or is there something I can do besides slow down to use potty at cruise. I dont plan on running this way much but its kind of disappointing that my guests cant use head if we ever do cruise at this speed. BTW the two heads are on different sea cocks/strainers on opposite sides of boat.
    FWIW, my three heads work at cruise. Possible your stators need replacement?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

All three of mine work while cruising. You can run the pumps with fresh water from you water tanks. Helps with the smell of stale sea water.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Robert the two we used dont have new stators. The bow toilet did but it was full of fishing rods. I will try it next time I go that fast. Seven how to I change the plumbing to run on fresh water? Seems the hoses on mine run right from sea strainer to the pump. I dont see any valving or lines from fresh water tank

You have to plump them in and shut down the sea strainers.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

A little more involved unless you want to chance a back flow problem. Look on Raz Marine site for freshwater flush parts.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Our aft / master head loses prime every time if used while underway. Have replaced the stator, cleaned, de-scaled, etc. no dice. The forward and mid ships heads do fine while underway. We only cruise at 10 kts.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Heads that lose prime underway probably have the external strainers mounted backwards. They should face forward.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Took the boat out for some exercise today. While at cruise (about 18-19 knots) I did the flush test. All three heads pulled water. Maybe it is your scoops as suggested.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Or perhaps the scoops are missing.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375