Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hammerhead exhaust piping

Answered another post regarding hammerheads which may or may not be helpful.

Thought I'd mention one other thing. For a short term fix for that kind of leak to basically get you through the end of the season I'd suggest using Starbrite epoxy putty as a patch.

Stuff works great!!!!

Won't go into great detail but I had a little "accident" involving a cordless drill with a 3/16 in bit and my attempt to mount an electrical j box in the engine room below the waterline. Needed something strong that would harden quickly in the presence of water.

Worked so well I now keep two sticks onboard along with a big tube of silicone adhesive caulk which is anhydrous and also dries in the presence of water.

Seven minutes and it's hard like iron!!!! Longest seven minutes of my life!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    I haven't pursued the replacement as of now. My leak is minimal but will be looking for replacements when my boat is hauled for the winter. I'm looking for someone to make them in fiberglass but would consider the SS/Monel.
    Quote Originally Posted by miboatnutz View Post
    Answered another post regarding hammerheads which may or may not be helpful.Thought I'd mention one other thing. For a short term fix for that kind of leak to basically get you through the end of the season I'd suggest using Starbrite epoxy putty as a patch.Stuff works great!!!!Won't go into great detail but I had a little "accident" involving a cordless drill with a 3/16 in bit and my attempt to mount an electrical j box in the engine room below the waterline. Needed something strong that would harden quickly in the presence of water.Worked so well I now keep two sticks onboard along with a big tube of silicone adhesive caulk which is anhydrous and also dries in the presence of water.Seven minutes and it's hard like iron!!!! Longest seven minutes of my life!
    You didn’t learn hull drilling from Ageless’s seventeen year old son by any chance did you?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

No I learned it all on my own!!!!

Didn't feel too bad though. Told the guy at the Marine store why I was buying the epoxy and he said I'm the third guy this season that's accidently drilled a hole in the bottom of their boat!

Idiots everywhere - and I'm one of them!!! Lol!!!
    Brian L

IMPETUOUS - 1984 Hatteras 53 ED MY Hull #CN720
    GOD'S GIFT - 1972 Chris Craft 42 Ft. Commander
    QUEEN B - 1974 Century 24 Ft Buccaneer
    GOD'S LITTLE GIFT - 1962 Johnson 19 Ft. Runabout
    MON AMI - 1984 Catalina 30Ft. Sloop

One of the problems about the hammerhead pipe leak is getting to the location. I have the same putty and like it but I really can't see the leak without a camera as it is on the bottom side of this huge pipe intersection. I'm pretty nimble, but getting my head and arms on the underside of this thing is nearly impossible and makes jamming putting a bit tough. I guess it is easier to putty a drill hole, but I won't go there...