Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Shore Power Cord Length

What would be the standard, or likely, length of my 240V 50A 4-wire shore power cord? Forgot to measure this weekend.

I plan to turn the boat around for summer. Unfortunately, my power pedestal is offset favoring one end of my T. Turning around will add the 18' beam plus the added linear distance to the power source. I know I won't have enough cord to make it.

I am planning to replace the boat's power cable, but don't want to end us with too much in terms of resistance. I'm being fed a steady 208 volts. The extra length won't be needed half the year or when traveling, though there have been times when some extra length would have come in handy. The Glenndining coiler has plenty of reserve capacity. What about making up an extension cord? Again, I failed to measure, but I'm thinking 15' would do it.

What say the electrical gurus on the plan? Moving the pedestal is not an option. Would one continuous run of cord be materially better than breaking it up with an extension?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Re: Shore Power Cord Length

A lot of the cords are 50 feet but with a cable reel you never know because they don’t use off the shelf cords. I personally hate connections in the cord, have seen one totally engulfed in fire one time at the connection. If the connection is done correctly with screws rings to hold them together then you could do that. To many don’t use a proper positive connection system. So basically I have told you nothing, but I hope it helps. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    A lot of the cords are 50 feet but with a cable reel you never know because they don’t use off the shelf cords. I personally hate connections in the cord, have seen one totally engulfed in fire one time at the connection. If the connection is done correctly with screws rings to hold them together then you could do that. To many don’t use a proper positive connection system. So basically I have told you nothing, but I hope it helps. John
    i wouldn’t say that. Thx
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you are going to replace the cord any way, put the extra length in. You do not get the voltage drop with AC circuits that you do with DC circuits. An extra 20 feet will not make a difference. As Scarlett said, the connections are the most important. Good solid connections with no break in the wire from plug to glendinning.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

Kinda what I was thinking. Measuring this week. Thx
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I used our new shore power lead and connectors for the first time recently. The connectors were warm when there was little load. Do the connectors in reality get warm or should they remain at the ambient temperature? Ie. cold? Cable and connectors rated 15 amps at 220 volts.

No they should be at ambient temp. Any warmth is a yellow flag, hot to the touch a red one.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Length matters. Remember the added length may cause additional voltage drop and cause some heat.

Even at 4 gauge 100 amp cables shorter is better.

As to a 15 amp 220 volt cord being warm or hot with minimum load please define minimal. Its not a big load ( 16 amps ) on a shore cord if its properly sized.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If your inlet is amidship as on most Hatteras MY, 50' should get you to a pedestal either way.

If not, then it maybe worth replacing the whole cable especially with a glendining where weight isn't an worry and increase length to 70 or 80' Better this than using an extension and extra plugs. I ve increased the length to 75' and the glendining tub was big enough. If replacing make absolutely sure the new cable is tinned. Some are not
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

So in Australia our highest domestic amperage is 220 volts and 15 amps. I have an industrial type 15 amp cable and 15 amp plug fittings. Minimal load was about 4 amps going to the battery charger and a couple of blower fans. The connectors were a little warmer that the ambient temperature. I am still learning about shore power as my boat is (now) both 3 phase and single phase. Boat lives on a mooring so it’s not connected to shore power very often. I presume both the retrofitted 3 phase and single phase are processed by the transformers to produce the 110 volt and 220 volt circuits. But interestingly when playing around with the control panel, the input voltage was 240 volts. Is this the “buck” voltage changer in operation that I’ve read about in another current post?