Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Giving serious consideration to....

... selling Gig....

Yeah, I know, "say it isn't so." I think it is so. I'm not sure if I'm headed more towards an LRC or a Nordhav'n yet for longer-range (e.g. "big boat") stuff, but the sportfish just isn't making as much sense as it used to for me.

Most of this is because we haven't fished much at all in the last two years. I can count the fishing trips on the fingers of one hand. Diving locally is arguably best done from a smaller center console, and for longer trips, I want something optimized for the slower speeds (e.g. stabilized, etc) which I can't do with a 45C.

Anyway, she's not yet in full trim for the season, but I wanted to stick this out there - if anyone here knows someone looking for one of these, keep me in mind. There's a list of things I will finish in terms of "season prep" before I consider her "for sale"; I am not going to list with a broker so whoever does want her will get a nice deal as well (buyers always end up paying the commission 'ya know.)

PM me if you know someone who might be interested....

Re: Giving serious consideration to....

Wish I had the extra cash flow...

Wow, I'm floored. You can't leave us all here.

How about a CPY? Maybe you could trade with WWGilman. Now that's what I call "big boat stuff".

Well, good luck, whatever you decide. I completely understand the LRC or Nordhavn rationale. I have always loved that style of boat.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Karl,

Swap Gilman for his 70MY. He gets a great 45, you get a big Hatt at a big discount, and we get to keep you on this website. We really appreciate having you here, and we don't "wisht we knew how to quit ya'".

Doug

hello
    We are looking for 45c or 46c, please let me know if you do decied to sell
    thank you
    Joe

Unhappy Re: Giving serious consideration to....

Karl, Think long and hard before you do anything rash. Moving from a relatively fast sporty 45 Hatt to a LRC or Nordhavnn is a serious move. If you desire comfort, cruise economy etc don't overlook a 53 - either ED or Classic. As you know as well as any and better than most you can still cruise comfortably with stabilizers etc., while retaining the ability to high tail it when necessary.

Truth be told, we don't want you to leave us so there are some selfish motives involved however I'm sure you will do what's best. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Walt P

... .......no Gig?

Wait a minute...April Fools day was yesterday...
    Last edited by Passages; 04-03-2006 at 09:09 PM.

8. Re: Giving serious consideration to....

Well, I ain't gonna leave the site - unless Doug throws me off!

The big MY isn't the right boat though. A YF PROBABLY isn't, although it has more possibility. The YF was a choice I rejected a few years ago before I bought Gig, but that may have been premature..... although at the time, it was the right call. Now I'm not so sure....

Basically, my usage has changed. When I bought Gig we fished a lot and dove a little. Now I dive a lot and fish almost never. And my diving has changed too - it was pretty basic recreational stuff originally, but has evolved more towards much harder-core technical diving over time.

One thing that is driving this in a severe fashion is that I'm building a rebreather. These things need to be fed not only air (or a helium-based mix) but also require high-pressure pure O2. The latter means storage tanks on board, and they're large and a royal pain in the butt to move around. There's just nowhere to put them AND a compressor for the air required on the 45C. Even the compressor alone is dodgy.

So the "slow/long range" boat CAN'T be the 45C. That was what made the choice originally work, but now with my usage pattern shift, it won't.

I likely won't buy the replacement immediately for Gig; the CC will get bought right away, but the long range/slow replacement is one I'm going to do a lot of looking around at first. With the de-emphasis on fishing though the "ideals" certainly change.... a lot.....

Gig2 may be a YF, a LRC, or perhaps the Nordhav'n - there's gonna be a LOT of crawling around in bilges before that purchase decision is made, much time spent with measuring tapes and volume computations, etc....

Karl,

One of the 53MY's we looked at had a dive compressor and 6-8 80CFM bottles in the port eng room. I can't remember the exact configuration; I just remember thinking it made the aft end of the eng room very crowded!

But in my new and extremely limited diving experience, I agree that you don't want a 53MY if diving is a primary use. But a YF might work pretty well. We initally considered a 58 in our Hatt search but we couldn't get a slip large enough for it here. The 53MY has perfect accomodations for us but the cockpit of a YF would be VERY handy. So the 58YF could be a great solution - plenty of interior space with the additional length to accomodate the cockpit.

Whoever buys Gig will be getting a superbly maintained boat and just think, when you purchase another boat, you'll get the opportunity to once again correct all the stupid stuff that others did! On a 58YF I'm sure there will be a great opportunity to fix/correct TONS of stuff!!!

Those Nordhavn's are nice! If we ever sell our 53 (unlikely)...

Good luck and please stick around here if you leave the Hatt world!

I haven't been a member of the forum long, but certainly long enough to see your HUGE contributions. I echo what everyone else has to say about your generous input, and I'm glad to hear you're going to stay plugged in.

I've got a 45c, too, that I almost sold this winter. The short story is that I still have it, after a minor interlude with a deal falling through. It's funny, when you come within a whisker of seeing it gone you realize just how much you love the boat.

You mentioned the 58YF. I've never been on one, but I've seen them occasionally in the local marinas and have browsed the online brochures here. Beautiful classic lines. I've noticed some of them having good-sized inflatable tenders chocked up above the aft deck. One looked like about a 15' RIB with a 60hp outboard. I'm not sure how far offshore you dive, but I can tell you from personal experience that RIBs make EXCELLENT dive boats for drift diving. And even small RIBs are fine sea boats with amazing payload capacity.

Ironically, even though I would have traded down when originally looking to sell my boat, I've sometimes wondered if something like a YF design would be a better overall compromise for me. I just wonder how much more maintenance one of those would be compared to a 45c. The standup walk-in engine rooms sure look nice, but my mechanic actually told me the access isn't quite as nice in real life as it looks on a floorplan. The inboard side apparently is really tight; I guess the mitigating factor is you can remove the bulkhead panel for inboard access, if I understood it correctly. He said rebuilds are no fun at all when it comes to reaching under the engine because of the placement of the fuel tank(s) and the height of the bulkhead sill on that inboard side. I'd sure love to see one in person, though -- it would be a nice dream to actually be able to walk around the outboard side of the engine! Still, us 45c owners can't complain much about access. I know a lot of boats with much worse access.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Contemplating a new project is always fun, and it sounds like the new owner of Gigabyte will be getting a well-oiled machine.

-- Paul