Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

West Marine now matching online pricing

Many of you will disagree, but I have always liked shopping at West Marine. The ability to walk into any store in the nation for parts to get me back on the water quickly, is worth the added expense. I am too impatient to wait for a mail order package. I have a Port Supply account which gives me a second path to discounts. I do patronize local electronics shops, marina ship stores, Napa, and any person with their name on their truck, but for hands on prior to a purchase, a large selection store works for me.

So today I went in to pick up some LED bulbs and a Fusion stereo, I was told that all West Marines will now match online pricing. Amazon Prime, Lewis Marine, Depco pumps, anybody. Just have a pic on your phone, or a print out, and they will match or beat.

Thought this would be of interest to some.

Have a great week,
    Tim

Re: West Marine now matching online pricing

West is in trouble. The new owners are clueless. Port supply is the worst. Id love to see them both go away and have local stores that cary boating supplies that arent cheap chineese goods.

as to their giving port supply wholesale cards to the general public, Dont get me started on that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ever notice how long it takes to check out at West?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Ever notice how long it takes to check out at West?
    For the rare times that I go there, I did actually notice that it was a very slow process....why?

The best thing that WM did for me was that it caused the competition up the street to beat their prices.

Free enterprize is alive and well...........

Walt

It's not just price.

The competition needs to make a profit to support you. They can't do it at 2%.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    For the rare times that I go there, I did actually notice that it was a very slow process....why?

The best thing that WM did for me was that it caused the competition up the street to beat their prices.

Free enterprize is alive and well...........

Walt
    I went to West Saturday, first time in many months. They didn't have the inventory in the bin. So I ordered some pencil zincs online for 1/3 the price. Wasted trip. I was irritated to the point of not picking up anything else I could use from West. There's a reason people call them worst marine.

As far as the local guys (Scott's post), free enterprise will take care of itself. Not every local business deserves to stay in business. The ones that do prove it by finding a way to compete, survive and even prosper. Many local shops have distinct advantages over West; they don't live in the high rent districts, for example. Local businesses will carry what their local customers want meaning less investment in what some MBA dictates from the home office. Locals don't play games with point's programs--West ain't fool'n anybody on that one. And, local businesses build those relationships based on trust and reasonable pricing. It my be they can't make the margins they may have enjoyed in the past. The smart ones will accept that and make it up on lower overhead, service, repeat business and word of mouth referrals.

Personally, I deal with small mom & pop auto parts store down the street. There's an AutoZone and an O'Reilly's on either side, yet they've been there since 1958. They're beating the chains and the online parts sellers by offering service and selling the stuff the big guys don't carry. No fancy trappings, no fancy displays and no one is talking on their phone on the job. The manager (34 years) and I are on a first name basis, and he's brought parts to me when I've broken down after hours. Free enterprise is, as Walt said, alive and well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I went to West Saturday, first time in many months. They didn't have the inventory in the bin. So I ordered some pencil zincs online for 1/3 the price. Wasted trip. I was irritated to the point of not picking up anything else I could use from West. There's a reason people call them worst marine.

As far as the local guys (Scott's post), free enterprise will take care of itself. Not every local business deserves to stay in business. The ones that do prove it by finding a way to compete, survive and even prosper. Many local shops have distinct advantages over West; they don't live in the high rent districts, for example. Local businesses will carry what their local customers want meaning less investment in what some MBA dictates from the home office. Locals don't play games with point's programs--West ain't fool'n anybody on that one. And, local businesses build those relationships based on trust and reasonable pricing. It my be they can't make the margins they may have enjoyed in the past. The smart ones will accept that and make it up on lower overhead, service, repeat business and word of mouth referrals.

Personally, I deal with small mom & pop auto parts store down the street. There's an AutoZone and an O'Reilly's on either side, yet they've been there since 1958. They're beating the chains and the online parts sellers by offering service and selling the stuff the big guys don't carry. No fancy trappings, no fancy displays and no one is talking on their phone on the job. The manager (34 years) and I are on a first name basis, and he's brought parts to me when I've broken down after hours. Free enterprise is, as Walt said, alive and well.
    What Robert said! We have a family biz in Stuart, Chapman's, who go out of their way to provide great service.

West Marine has been willing to work with me on pricing on larger items. However this is the first time I’ve heard that they would be willing to match online pricing. I have complained complained and complained about the 3 and 4 foot receipts that they give you for single items you buy. They could save tens of thousands of dollars just by cutting the receipts down to normal size. When talking to their employees they all seem to be very unhappy working there and state management is only out for the almighty dollar. I’m OK if a company is out for the almighty dollar foot customer service and customer loyalty should be their biggest concern.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I don't know how your West stores are but ours here in San Diego is the biggest in the chain, but its stock consists of about 60 per cent clothes, 20 percent paddle boards and kayaks that doesn't leave much for actuall boat supplies. Our joke here is we call it the West Marine boutique. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I have been shopping there out of neccessity. When you live 4 hours from your boat and need something the higher prices are still cheaper than driving back. I needed a VHF antennae last weekend. The 23' one I needed was $400 on line and shipping was going to be additional. I went in to WM to see if I could at least look at one to make sure its what I needed. They wanted over 600 for it. I told the girl I could get cheaper online. She offered to price match so I wound up cheaper by not having to pay shipping. I will go in there in future with prices from online in hand. I still try to buy online and bring with me but when you are in the middle of a project and none of the local stores carry what you need its the only option at hand