Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Battery charger settings

I’m installing a new battery charger now. The charger has settings for agm/gel and lead acid. It also has settings for 3-stage charging or 13.25 constant. My problem is I have one bank agm and the other two are lead acid. Which settings should I choose for now? And why?

Re: Battery charger settings

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    I’m installing a new battery charger now. The charger has settings for agm/gel and lead acid. It also has settings for 3-stage charging or 13.25 constant. My problem is I have one bank agm and the other two are lead acid. Which settings should I choose for now? And why?
    Mix-n-match on a charger is a bad idea. You need separate chargers for the AGM and FLA.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

AGM batteries use a higher bulk charging voltage than lead acid and can take a bit higher float voltage also. Lead acid bulk around 14.4 give or take a couple of tenths while AGM are 14.6 give or take a couple tenths, so if you set the charger to the lead acid setting you will undercharge the AGM batts a little at bulk. At float they are close enough that it doesn’t matter much. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Thank you for the replies. Clearly I know it’s best not to mix battery types across banks. Not my setup...I inherited this last year. The agm in question is from 2013 and the other two banks have new batteries this year. I would prefer to kill the agm if anything and replace with a fresh flooded 8d when that happens. I set the charger for lead acid and constant 13.25 for now. Seems to be working well in supplying my bridge electronics.