Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Owner aging along with classic Hatteras

I used to do damn near everything on my own boat. That included painting the bottom, after sanding it, etc. And waxing it. Etc.

I don't do any of that anymore. I'm grateful to still be working, to be able to afford to have the boat detailed, etc. Most of the mechanical work I do, with help from friends who are also boaters. Painting and varnishing I do. Putting the winter cover on and off, I do. (with help)

I prefer not to think about when I'll stop doing all this. Hopefully it's still a few years off......I hope.

One of my neighbors has hand written on her kitchen wall:

"Act your age as if you did not know how old you are"

In my case, all I need do is loose about 45 pounds of excess weight that has accumulated over the last 20 years, maybe get a new pair of knees. That is all of the major overhaul I think I am going to need to run for another 20 good years...I think.

I will be 64 in May and I plan to be boating one way or another well into my 80's. My mother is 87 and still plays golf. Not great but she loves getting out there!!!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I don't understand. If you are old and can't do stuff, get a boat with outboards that doesn't require tinkering.

If you want a hatteras with lots of systems, bust out the checkbook. You old guys with pensions should enjoy them, because nearly all those that are younger will never have such pleasures. Millennials often get bashed for "living life now"...but many are smart and know what the future holds for them once they get older.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

An old friend gave me some words of wisdom years ago. “ between 20 and 40 you learn, between 40 and 60 you earn, after 60 you pay it back” I’m in the pay back time of life. It’s been a great life.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I don't understand. If you are old and can't do stuff, get a boat with outboards that doesn't require tinkering.

If you want a hatteras with lots of systems, bust out the checkbook. You old guys with pensions should enjoy them, because nearly all those that are younger will never have such pleasures. Millennials often get bashed for "living life now"...but many are smart and know what the future holds for them once they get older.

You're right Krush, you don't understand.... When you arrive at a certain age you no longer desire to
    skip across the waves with a fast outboard. What most of us in "Gezzerdom" enjoy is quiet time with
    a few friends having a cup of tea or something stronger on an afterdeck while watching some young
    wippersnappers like you work your A$$ off, with great envy (but we "usta could). Gezzerdom is not
    able to do them. We can still do plenty of things however. A couple of years ago we were with Bobk
    and Gayle at a party in Fla and there was a 90 something yr old gent doing some fancy dance steps
    with all the ladies. So you see, it ain't over till it's over (Yogi Berra) and the fat lady sings (Kate Smith)
    Life is wonderful so make all the memories you can so you too can reflect on them in your old age, if
    hopefully you will be as lucky as we in "Gezzerdom".

Besides we can always mooch rides with you younger folks from time to time and get a chance to
    impart some great words of wisdom......lol

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BobK, my example of slow but determined is 5 new Lifeline 8DL batteries sitting in my garage that will be replacing the current set that the Admiral and I installed 14 years ago. At that time I did all the rigging to get them in and out without having to manually lift even one end of these 160 lbs. beasts. We will do it again using the same rigging, likely for the last time. When the stamina goes it just requires more mental time to figure out a solution. Even back when I was 60 there was no way I was going to strong arm the beasts.

Pete
    For what its worth, I have a rig that my wife and I used to pull and install 4 8D's, by ourselves, in a 43' DCFB. Albeit fairly easy to reach batts at the outer ER. It worked well and both lifts and lowers, plus rolls the battery into and out of place, after raising or lowering.

If desired, I would be pleased to post some pics. It was constructed from gear found at Tractor Supply and Lowes. Is not overly sophisticated, as it consists of an 8' "barn door" roller, a standard boat hoist, usually for a boat trailer, and a section of 2x6, plus some 2x2's. Oh, and I moved the batteries with a hand cart.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Plenty of modern boats with outboards that will fit the ticket:

http://www.judgeyachts.com/oxford-37.html (they'll do outboards, I'm sure)
    http://www.judgeyachts.com/chesapeake-36-outboard.html

Cutwater, the tugs etc

Last edited by krush; 02-12-2018 at 10:51 PM.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    You're right Krush, you don't understand.... When you arrive at a certain age you no longer desire to
    skip across the waves with a fast outboard. What most of us in "Gezzerdom" enjoy is quiet time with
    a few friends having a cup of tea or something stronger on an afterdeck while watching some young
    wippersnappers like you work your A$$ off, with great envy (but we "usta could). Gezzerdom is not
    able to do them. We can still do plenty of things however. A couple of years ago we were with Bobk
    and Gayle at a party in Fla and there was a 90 something yr old gent doing some fancy dance steps
    with all the ladies. So you see, it ain't over till it's over (Yogi Berra) and the fat lady sings (Kate Smith)
    Life is wonderful so make all the memories you can so you too can reflect on them in your old age, if
    hopefully you will be as lucky as we in "Gezzerdom".

Besides we can always mooch rides with you younger folks from time to time and get a chance to
    impart some great words of wisdom......lol

Walt
    Well written Walt.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    For what its worth, I have a rig that my wife and I used to pull and install 4 8D's, by ourselves, in a 43' DCFB. Albeit fairly easy to reach batts at the outer ER. It worked well and both lifts and lowers, plus rolls the battery into and out of place, after raising or lowering.

If desired, I would be pleased to post some pics. It was constructed from gear found at Tractor Supply and Lowes. Is not overly sophisticated, as it consists of an 8' "barn door" roller, a standard boat hoist, usually for a boat trailer, and a section of 2x6, plus some 2x2's. Oh, and I moved the batteries with a hand cart.
    I would love to see pictures of your rig. We have the same boat.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I remember doing some varnish work on my old Connie 52 when a transient boater and his wife walked by and commented on how nice it was looking but how it sure looked like a lot of work. They were on their way to the local football stadium to watch a game. After they left, I marveled at how they saw work even though I was really enjoying myself. And they were going to 'enjoy' themselves packed in lousy seats with thousands of other people drinking overpriced beers watching adult men grunt around the grass for a few seconds every couple of minutes.

I actually enjoy being at the boatyard...most of the time. When things are going well, even if the progress is slow I'm having fun. I do like the idea of taking off the eyeglasses and taking in the "perfection" of my handiwork from a few feet away!