Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Raritan vs.Techma Question

I still have VFs. They re ok. They were great 20 years ago but nowadays heads have improved and others are better choices.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I spent a week on my friends 100' Broward that is all outfitted with Headhunters. I absolutely fell in love with them and he has had zero problems with them over the many years since installed.

I have two vacuflushes and a Raritan Crown on board and absolutely hate the Raritan. It is always a problem and the joker valves always tend to leak down. The siphon fluid cleaning system never works right either. I am hoping to get rid of it soon.

If I ever want to blow $7k I will go with all Headhunters.
    1978 60C "Reel Action" Hull number 4 (304), 1986 36 Sedan "El Dorado" Hull Number 24 (324)

We have 7 headhunters on the Lazzara 84 I run. No issues so far in the 3 1/2 years I ve run it. The issue as mentioned previously is that from the head discharge it has to be a gravity drop to the holding tank. In some cases it s just not feasible. In our case the master (amidship) and the crew head at the stern have to go to a small tank in the Lazzarette which has a 220v headhunter pump that kicks in everytime either master or crew is flushed to transfer waste to the holding tank (near the bow).

Works fine but that headhunter transfer pump is well over $1000...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I used to do a lot of new construction and the Tecma heads were very popular. If you look at the mechanics of the toilets everything is self contained and the built in pump is powerful enough to move the waste up to 90 feet. This system works well on larger boats where the holding tank is a long way from the various toilets scattered throughout the vessel. Definitely good enough for the short runs on the average Hatteras like mine.

Pascal, would a loop on the discharge line up to a vented loop that was above the holding tank level so the discharge from that point is downhill to the holding tank work? John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Pascal, would a loop on the discharge line up to a vented loop that was above the holding tank level so the discharge from that point is downhill to the holding tank work? John
    The headhunter head doesn’t have a pump, it uses water pressure to push waste up To a vented loop normally located behind the head. They recommend it to be at the same height as the top of the bowl but can be raised if necessary although to more than 32” from the floor. From there it has to be a downhill run to the holding tank. Now if the holding tank is forward you probably need to take into account how far the bow goes up when on plane or running up swells.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Good info, thanks Pascal. A friend has a Pacific Mariner 65 with Headhunter toilets and has a smell problem with his owners cabin head, which I think now is caused by the height problem. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.