Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Hynautic Mil spec 5606 alternative

Great outfit, been buying Phillips 5606 fluid from PSC for years, and other stuff too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Another option: https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...AL_BLU_PDS.pdf

Kendall®Hyken Glacial Blu Hydraulic Fluid is a high-quality, low-viscosity antiwear hydraulic oil specially developed for use inindustrial and mobile equipment operating at extremely lowtemperatures. It has a very high viscosity index and a low pourpoint for use in arctic conditions.

Hyken Glacial Blu Hydraulic Fluid may be used in land-basedhydraulic systems where the equipment manufacturer specifies aMIL-H-5606 fluid. It is notrecommended for aircraft use.

And this chart says ISO VG 15 is similar to 5606 https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...full-CHART.pdf
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Another alternative is Mobil DTE 25, Hydraulic, ISO 46, 5 gal. You can order from Zoro.com. It is also certified for the Niaid Stabilizers, Marquipt Davit, Hydraulic steering on Tender, etc, etc....
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    Power steering fluid (Dextron II) is OK for warm climates, but not for very-cold.
    That’s ATF and that cold weather stuff is an old HOF tale that keeps being repeated. I’ve had ATF in mine since it left the factory. Except when I blew a line 74 miles offshore and filled it with 30w engine oil because I didn’t have anything else. I’ve run the boat in December in the NE temps in the 20’s and never noticed any difference. I just rebuilt the bridge helm after 53 years of hard no autopilot running. I think the ATF has additives that keep the seals soft.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present