Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Annual service

Annual service

Hi eveyone,I have DD 8v71tt. How often do you guys replace impellers? And do oil and transmission oil change? Any other annual services?Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL

Re: Annual service

I do the oil and impeller every year. Transmission once every three. I only get about 50 hours a season though. Manual will have the guidelines.

Impellers once a year, transmission every 200 hours and engines every 100 hours. That might be a little over kill but I’d rather stay ahead of issues.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I put on 100hrs/yr. Change oil once/yr, impellers and trans every 3 years. Fuel filters every other year or sooner if needed based on vac gauges.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Once a year or 100 hours on oil. 250 - 300 on trans. Once a year on fuel filters ( too easy to get to to not do them plus their so cheap its a no brainier)
    Yearly engine zincs and impeller checks.

Battery water level check monthly ( sometimes I miss this one )
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My 692's call for oil change at 150 hours, ditto the transmissions, but I suspect that the latter is too frequent. At 400 hours, I found my impellers were starting to develop cracks in the roots so I change them at 300-350 hours.

Bobk

7. Re: Annual service

Have the engines tuned up every year or so. And if you find a oil leak, fix it. They won't leak oil if you maintain them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpy View Post
    Have the engines tuned up every year or so. And if you find a oil leak, fix it. They won't leak oil if you maintain them properly.
    Respectfully, I have to disagree with the "every year or so" tune up insofar as it's defined as valve adjustment and injector timing. These are just unnecessary expenses unless there is a performance problem indicating otherwise. I think somewhere in the Detroit, Covington or Hatteras manuals it is stated that these adjustments (generally referred to as tune ups) are unnecessary as long as the motors are running fine. Perhaps the operating hours and performance would be a better determining factor than the calendar. Clean fuel, clean oil, clean unrestricted air and clean and unrestricted coolant (raw and fresh) would be my recommendation. If you experience a problem, it's more likely than not related to one of these four.

IMG_8023.jpg

I love clean fuel!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

9. Re: Annual service

I get the 16-92s tuned every year or so as preventive maintenance. If the engines suddenly aren't "running fine", then it is most likely that a tune up isn't going to help - there are bigger problems. It is just what I do to keep them happy.

Thanks everyone for your kind and valuable comments.

For replacing the Impellers:

Do you use the impeller pulling device to take them out?

Do you grease the shaft of the new impeller so it wont get stuck in there? and if yes then what do you use? silicon grease?

What do you use on the fins for the first dry run? silicon grease? Glycerol? KY Jelly?

If you get the right gasket, do you still need any other sealer such as a gasket maker to put around before putting the cap back?

Thanks
    Gus....
    Hatteras 53 MY, 1972
    Boca Raton, FL